Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » E-Mail Archiving - 3rd Party (Questions regarding some 3rd party solutions used with Kerio)
  •  
BobH

Send a private message to this user
Currently we use KerioMail's archiving to store e-mail long term. It works fine as far as it goes but it doesn't deal with storage bloat, user-archiving and e-discovery issues.

Searching through this forum's listings, I found mention of a 3rd party app called MailStore. I checked their website and liked a lot of what I read. In particular, I'm interested in their ability to first archive e-mail and then delete what's been archived from the mail server.

I'd be interested in getting feedback from anyone who is using MailStore with Keriomail. Do you use it for controlling bloat? How well does it work for doing searches? Do you run it on the same PC/Server as Keriomail? Did you look at it and then decide to use something else? If so, why?

Thanks.
  •  
subnet

Hi bhartung,

I saw your topic about mailstore and was impressed. Really it was something i was looking for. I haven't tested it yet but I have read the documentation. The documentation is also very nice written and easy to understand. The outlook add-in is also very nice. This week I will be downloading and testing it, to look if everything is working well, and if users can also work with it. Right now with the documentation I have Read I will do as follow :
--Archive via Imap
-mails older than 6 months and delete them
-Install outlook add-in
-check if I can access all those email fast and easy
-Run a test for 5 users

If everything is working correctly I will certainly go for it, because the price is fair enough. With this I hope there won't be mail loss / mails are stored centrally / and there won't be performance issues with kerio outlook connector offline edition. These are the key things for our organization, because our organization relies on email.

Regards,

Cliff
  •  
BobH

I've been testing the MailStore demo and find it very effective. It's full text search capabilities are very fast. It's too bad it takes a 3rd party application to have this capability. (Are you listening Kerio?!)

I'm a little unclear about all the rules for archiving. I created a folder and put some e-mails in it. I then archived my e-mail account. Then I deleted the folder and e-mails and ran the archive again and in the archive, the folder was still there but not the e-mails.

I'm waiting for some clarification from MailStore's tech support on the archiving rules but so far it appears to be a great app.
  •  
rex.withers

I have been using it for 6 months so far I have 250,000 emails archived and it works really well.
  •  
subnet

Wow!.Thanks for the feedback. I am getting hope. Downloaded the trial already.

Still Testing! Very Happy
  •  
BobH

Rex,

Thanks for posting. I'm interested in hearing more about how you are using MailStore...

Are you using it to archive and then delete e-mail?

If you delete a folder and it's contents does the archive keep it?

If you move an e-mail to a new location, how does Mailstore reconcile multiple locations in the archive?

How many users are you archiving?

Are you running MailStore on your mail server?

•  
the_creative_partnership

Is this the product that is at www.mailstore.com?

Cheers
Dan
  •  
subnet

•  
teco

Quote:
Are you using it to archive and then delete e-mail?

No, I want to see how much emails can be handled by Kerio until it slows down

Quote:
If you delete a folder and it's contents does the archive keep it?

Yes. Nothing is deleted automaticly. Deletetion must be done manual.

Quote:
If you move an e-mail to a new location, how does Mailstore reconcile multiple locations in the archive?

Mailstore calculates a hash value for each message. If you move your message and the content is not altered, Mailstore will also move the message to the new folder.

Quote:
Are you running MailStore on your mail server?

Separate System. Recommended for security reasons and prevention if hardware fails.

...using Mailstore since Version 1...
  •  
rex.withers

>>Are you using it to archive and then delete e-mail?

Yes some users after 6 months most after 1 year

>>If you delete a folder and it's contents does the archive keep it?
As per tecos comment
>>If you move an e-mail to a new location, how does Mailstore reconcile multiple locations in the archive?
As per tecos comment
>>How many users are you archiving?
>>Are you running MailStore on your mail server?
I was but I moved it for redundancy purposes

Its worth mentioning also that If you Have AD accounts you need to loosen the security in Kerio to allow mail store to interrogate the server Via IMAP. If you have local accounts you don't need to.

Best bet is to run it up on an old winXP workstation or a VM and Just give it a try.
  •  
subnet

Quote:
>>Are you using it to archive and then delete e-mail?

Yes some users after 6 months most after 1 year

I was thinking the same thing

Quote:
>>If you delete a folder and it's contents does the archive keep it?
As per tecos comment

Hmm maybe you could modify your Outlook GPO to automatically archive mails older than 6 months, and move them to the archive folder.

Just a thought Smile
  •  
rex.withers

[one of] the disadvantages with outlook archiving is that there is no easy to use user front end for searching.

Mailstore has this nailed.
  •  
subnet

I saw there is also an option to delete the mails from your mailbox after they are archived in the mailstore. Cool software!

[Updated on: Wed, 23 September 2009 10:06]

•  
sedell

cliffjag wrote on Wed, 23 September 2009 01:22
Hmm maybe you could modify your Outlook GPO to automatically archive mails older than 6 months, and move them to the archive folder.

Unfortunately, KOFF doesn't work with Outlook autoarchive that would be required for this.

Scott
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sedell wrote on Wed, 23 September 2009 13:04
cliffjag wrote on Wed, 23 September 2009 01:22

Unfortunately, KOFF doesn't work with Outlook autoarchive that would be required for this.

This was true probably for first KOFF releases in 6.5.x.
I'm using auto-archive feature in Outlook 2007 with KOFF with no problems.

Ops. Just make sure that no Outlook add-in is touching old messages. This is the main problem (not much related to KOFF) that some AV plugins periodically scan and modify the messages in the Outlook profile and this cause the auto-archive feature will not find any 'old' message because all of them were recently updated by AV plugin.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 September 2009 13:29]

Previous Topic: Moving archive folder
Next Topic: why webmail E-mail reply send time no GMT +08:00
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 21:53:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00569 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.