Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Thoughts/experiences on migrating Kerio from Win to Linux VM?
  •  
robm

Send a private message to this user
Hi Everyone,

I currently run a (very) small Kerio config servicing a handful of users. Now that my VMware infrastructure is in place, I was interested in kicking the tires of the Kerio Linux VM.

I'm an old Windows guy, but I'm very interested in Linux as a platform, thus the interest in using this as a learning opportunity etc (I can easily fall back on the Windows VM if required).

I would much appreciate any thoughts, comments and other insight into what's involved in planning and doing the migration (eg. can I restore the Kerio backup created on the Win platform under Linux?). Any thoughts (or links to helpful sites) on what's typically involved in managing CentOS Linux vs Win 2003 would be appreciated.

Finally, I checked the docs on the Kerio site for one specifically related to the Linux VM, but didn't see anything ... perhaps this info is hidden in the Admin manual?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
  •  
anthony.somerset

the only differences really are

file paths
/opt/local/kerio/etc/etc/etc compared to c:/kerio/etc/etc/etc

and install routine both are well documented

if you are migrating from one system to another the biggest pitfall is paths, they are not automatically updated if you use the kmsrestore function you have to manually edit the config file

other than that the admin interface is still the same Razz

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
robm

anthony.somerset wrote on Thu, 03 September 2009 17:35
the only differences really are

file paths
/opt/local/kerio/etc/etc/etc compared to c:/kerio/etc/etc/etc

and install routine both are well documented

if you are migrating from one system to another the biggest pitfall is paths, they are not automatically updated if you use the kmsrestore function you have to manually edit the config file

other than that the admin interface is still the same Razz

Many thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that the admin interface is the same ... it would be a little daunting moving straight to a cmd line(!)

PS: Would I need to jump through the same hoops to install my SSL cert on the Linux VM, or will this somehow be magically part of the backup? (I'm assuming not...)

Thanks,

Rob
  •  
anthony.somerset

i would still run the admin utility from your win machine but the linux admin client is for all intensive purposes the same (provided you have a gui installed

if you are starting from a vmware appliance you probably will have to migrate your ssl certificates over but it shouldn't be too difficult

basically if you move your mailstore over plus a few config files and the certificates to the right places (and edit the config files for the mailstore directory then you wont go wrong really, there are a couple of other forum topics here that have a bit more in depth issues about switching from a win vm to linux

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
robm

Thanks for the feedback Anthony.

Regards, Rob
  •  
stupot1397

One more thing to think about would be if you use NTLM authentication.

If you do, then you cannot use the linux version as it does not support this.

Previous Topic: SMTP outbound ip binding for per domain
Next Topic: Missing "Contacts in public folders"
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 20:43:20 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00932 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.