Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » how to block sending attachments to large usergroups?
  •  
thomka

Send a private message to this user
I would like our 150+ users to be able to send attachments to each other and small groups without limits, but at the same time they should not be able to send this "couch for sale" 6MB jpeg to "all_users<at>..."
Any way to do this? I don't think it's possible with the standard admin tools, but a script or some other solution might allow to fine tune attachments?
Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.
  •  
anthony.somerset

quite simply i would reccomend that all users had an attachment limit, email wasnt originally design to transmit large files. kerio doesnt have any feature like this(attachment limit on a rules basis) that i can tell it just has an overall outgoing message attachment limit or none

your best bet is to set a reasonable limit on attachments (10-15MB is usually good nowadays) and then tell people that files bigger than that have to be transmitted in other ways (hint rapidshare.com or yousendit.com are good methods particularly to multiple people)

[Updated on: Tue, 08 September 2009 08:39]

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
thomka

thank you for your reply.
the point is, that I don't want to touch the possibility that a single user sends a large attachment to another user. she/he should just not be able to send it to a large group (valid alternative: put it on the file-server and just mail the link).
  •  
marook

The issue here is:

1: Email it to a group, and you get it copied all the times that there is users - without them maybe even wanting the file. Big backup hurdle.

2: Share it via a fileserver: One file, backup is much less! Educate your users! Or tell them the price of the email 'solution'...

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
thomka

1: is what I have
2: is what I would like to have.

Not all users can be educated. some will never learn and usually they are spamming the biggest attachments to all users.

Seems that I have to live with that fact.
I will continue shouting on them (and buy bigger HDs) but I'm still convinced that at least a warning messagge e.g.
"You're about sending attachments to a large user group! Do you really want to do that?" would be a nice feature.

•  
anthony.somerset

best option would be to set the outgoing limit for everything

people learn very fast then Smile

voice of experience talking, sure someone asked me why they couldnt send a large attachment and got upset about my answer and was trying to demand it released...

my answer, please can i have £5-8k to implement a larger raid system and approriate backup solution. i think they understand why i am forced to limit attachment sizes and seeing as the file is on the server anyway in most cases... they dont even have to attach they just type file x is in folder y on the server

ok so everyones scenario is different but its worth letting people know that lots of external mail servers will not accept attachments over a certain size (i think its 10MB)
for there users so its better to play safe so they get a bounce message sooner rather than waiting anything up to 12 hours for a mail server to send a wierd message about not being able to recieve

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: Kerio Sync Connector vs. Exchange Sync in Apple Address Book
Next Topic: Update Problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 00:31:07 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00445 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.