Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Which server platform (Which is the best OS for KMS)
  •  
pchernoff

Send a private message to this user
I am wondering which platform we should be using if we setup Kerio Mail Server. We are an all-Mac organization and was planning on buying a Mac Pro to run KMS for around 140 mail accounts (and use our current RAID 1 setup). However, I had one report that someone found that KMS ran slowly when on Mac OS X when most users used the webmail client (this was an organization of 750 people) but ran very smoothly under Red Hat Enterprise (this was over a year ago).

So while it would be much easier for us to run KMS on Mac OS X than on some form of Linux, I do not want to do this if there will be performance concerns. Any opinions?
  •  
My IT Indy

The main concern with KMS performance is the speed of the hard drives. If you get a Mac Pro, I would go with 4xSAS drives with the raid card and use RAID 5. OR use an external raid array with an esata raid card. Performace should be fine.

I can't get onto Apple's online store to confirm the availability of SAS drives for the Mac Pro so that might not be an option.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
j.a.duke

pchernoff wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 11:12
I am wondering which platform we should be using if we setup Kerio Mail Server. We are an all-Mac organization and was planning on buying a Mac Pro to run KMS for around 140 mail accounts (and use our current RAID 1 setup). However, I had one report that someone found that KMS ran slowly when on Mac OS X when most users used the webmail client (this was an organization of 750 people) but ran very smoothly under Red Hat Enterprise (this was over a year ago).

So while it would be much easier for us to run KMS on Mac OS X than on some form of Linux, I do not want to do this if there will be performance concerns. Any opinions?

I'm currently running about 35 accounts on a first generation Intel xServe with a SoftRAID mirror for the Kerio store. We migrated to the xServe after the G4 dual 1.25 that we were originally running on died. I had the xServe available and it's barely busy over the 4 cores.

We've got about 300 gigs of total mail on the box and I never hear complaints about performance, regardless of how the system is accessed (on the desktop usually through Entourage via IMAP, but we are starting to migrate to Apple Mail, iCal & Address Book).

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
pchernoff

Thanks for the reply. We are planning on using an existing RAID 1 box and get a high performance eSata card for the Mac Pro. When we last research RAIDs for mail servers we ended up with recommendations for RAID 1 and we have been pleased with the performance.

The speed issue that was reported to me seemed to concern heavy use of the web interface and not the use of mail clients.
Previous Topic: Update Problem
Next Topic: How to remove viruses in Kerio store with McAfee
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 18:04:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00385 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.