Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Address Book syncing questions
  •  
pchernoff

Send a private message to this user
We are very close to buying KMS and I have a few questions concerning Address Book:

1) When I tested KMS before it didn't support Groups from the Mac Address Book. I see that it now supports Groups but I want to double-check that this feature performs well. Does KMS support a contact belonging to multiple groups?

2) What is the best practise for syncing? We have Tiger & Leopard clients. Should we use the KMS plugin on clients or use another method.

3) When sharing address books, do the shared contacts always appear in the Address Book or do you have to search on name? Our users like browsing through names and not having to type in a search. How do you know where a name comes from (either your local Address Book or a shared one created by someone else)?
  •  
My IT Indy

pchernoff wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 16:33
We are very close to buying KMS and I have a few questions concerning Address Book:

Quote:

1) When I tested KMS before it didn't support Groups from the Mac Address Book. I see that it now supports Groups but I want to double-check that this feature performs well. Does KMS support a contact belonging to multiple groups?

It should, I've never tested that out.

Quote:

2) What is the best practise for syncing? We have Tiger & Leopard clients. Should we use the KMS plugin on clients or use another method.

I would upgrade all your workstations to Leopard and use Caldav in iCal instead of the KSC for calendaring. BIG improvement in functionality. If you cannot upgrade then the KSC will have to do.

Quote:

3) When sharing address books, do the shared contacts always appear in the Address Book or do you have to search on name? Our users like browsing through names and not having to type in a search. How do you know where a name comes from (either your local Address Book or a shared one created by someone else)?

If you need to share address books then you will hate AddressBook for the Mac. It absolutely sucks when sharing contacts between users. There's no distinguishing between Public and private contacts. If they can search contacts then Address Book will be fine.

Another route might be to use webmail or Entourage for your users if you already have Office licenses.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
pchernoff

If you need to share address books then you will hate AddressBook for the Mac. It absolutely sucks when sharing contacts between users. There's no distinguishing between Public and private contacts. If they can search contacts then Address Book will be fine.

Another route might be to use webmail or Entourage for your users if you already have Office licenses.

Since the vast majority of our Macs do not have MS Office or Word on them. Even though Address Book doesn't show the difference between local and shared contacts, should we be able to work around this limitation by proper use of Groups/Categories?

And while AD doesn't show the differences, does it know the differences when it does the synching?
  •  
pchernoff

I did some testing and Address Book synced with KMS without wiping out my Group information in AB. However, I see no sign of my Groups being translated into Categories when I view the contacts in the Kerio Web Client, nor when I view these contacts in Entourage (I set up a new e-mail account in Entourage just for KMS testing).

I now see that with KMS Entourage does make a lot of sense for people who delegate their contacts for someone else to work in.
  •  
Will Mayall

Quote:
nor when I view these contacts in Entourage

I don't know about KMS but Entourage does not sync its categories with anything. Entourage categories are local only. They are also not synced with Exchange.

Will Mayall
Previous Topic: Migration - OS X to OS X
Next Topic: /opt/kerio on a netapp NFS volume
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 04:41:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00457 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.