Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Large white lists of emails and domains (spam white list whitelist )
  •  
neilticktin

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We get a ton of spam to some of our more public account -- for example, the one that we take in press releases from. Unfortunately, press releases can look very much like spam, and so we need to keep them fairly loose.

I would like to be able to white list the thousands (but less than 10,000) of domains that we may receive a press release from on the Kerio Mail Server so that they are handled for everyone on the server, not just an individual.

It seems that I could do this through custom rules but clearly the interface suggests that thousands may not be a good idea to do.

Are there better ways? Can Kerio handle this? (It's a 100 user license on a Dual G5 Xserve with plenty of RAM).

Thanks!

Neil
  •  
TorW

It's probably a little easier with a custom SpamAssassin rule.

Create a file in the same dir as local.cf called "pressreleases.cf" or something similar. Populate the file with lines like these:

whitelist_from press<_a.t_>example.com
whitelist_from pressrelease<_a.t_>example.org
whitelist_from *<_a.t_>example.net

... etcetera. Be warned that real spam with a forged from address found in this list will slip right through since mail from someone on the whitelist will get a -100 score. You CAN use whitelist_from_rcvd and supply the sending mailserver as a second argument, but it will be a pain to maintain.

Restart the mail server daemon when you're done, and take regular backups of the file you created.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 September 2009 10:50]

•  
neilticktin

Good stuff, and that's a lot easier to implement.

Has anyone tried this with relatively large lists of white lists? For example, 10,000?

Thanks!

Neil
  •  
TorW

Come to think of it, whitelisting the recipient will probably be much easier:

whitelist_to press<_a.t_>example.com
whitelist_to another<_a.t_>example.com

Wink

Be aware that this won't work if the recipient is in the Bcc-field in the mail.
  •  
neilticktin

Yeah -- we actually want to white the sender, I think. Right now, it may be working well enough to not worry about it. We'll know more soon.

Thanks!

Neil
  •  
mickwire

I had the same goal and did this....

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=64405&S =8f0f8e720e5a1435061e981e6bd6261d&srch=whitelist#msg_644 05

It is working great for me

messages checked: 20973
messages marked by users as spam: 156 (less than %.008)
messages marked by users an not spam: 28

40 users since 9/29

2600 lines in my whitelist (mx records)
12416 lines in my blacklist (mx records)
Previous Topic: Restoring archived messages
Next Topic: Export calendar from Kerio MailServer
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:24:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.