Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Folder Compress for Performance? (Will compressing the store folder help performance any?)
  •  
scottwilkins

Send a private message to this user
After loosing our mail server due to hardware failure a couple weeks ago I'm in the process of rebuilding a new server. I moved the e-mail to a temporary server, but need to get it to it's own server soon. After running Kerio for the past 3 years, I've noticed that the most significant bottle neck to performance is hard disk performance. I've looked into high performance SAS RAID systems, and even SSD drives.

The cost of such high performance disk systems does push the price up considerably. So, what I'm wondering now is what impact simple Windows folder compression will have on Kerio. Compressing the "store" folder and everything under it. My observations of CPU performance and memory performance under Windows were close to nothing compared to the disk usage data. I know compression will lower the amount of disk writes needed, and if I've got CPU to spare it seems logical that this might be a good move. I'm only concerned if the rate of file error failures increases in this setup.

So, what I see is...

Benefits:
- Better storage
- Faster disk access (my hope at least)
- Better use of CPU and Memory resources

Negatives:
- Failure rate may increase (unconfirmed)
- May not help performance at all

I tried this concept on a firewall logging system, which is a computer set to only store and report network firewall activity. I saw the disk usage drop to 1/3 of what it was previously, and CPU usage only increase about 10%. I don't think I'd see the same disk usage drop, but if it dropped any it would be a good thing. We have almost 100 users, and over 100 Gigabyte of e-mail data currently.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this idea?
Previous Topic: German: Kerio Mail Server 6.6.2 build 7165
Next Topic: Finding license info
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 09:08:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00377 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.