Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server Recommendations
  •  
JimInKS

Send a private message to this user
We are seriously considering installing KERIO as our first in-house e-mail server. I am looking for server hardware and OS recommendations.

We currently have 100 e-mail accounts and I am planning for 150.
Of those, probably 30 or 40 are the heaviest users at 30 or 40 e-mails a day (excluding spam). I figure that our biggest users will have an e-mail store of 2GB max. If I plan for 1GB per account I think that should be a pretty good guess. That would give me a max mail store of 150GB.

Will be using Outlook on most desktops and will make use of Calendar sharing, resource scheduling, etc. Probably about half the users will just use the web client.

We are pretty much all Windows. So for OS software my choices are Windows Server 2003 or 2008, XP, or Windows 7. I am assuming I want Windows Server unless you can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for all input!
  •  
Ann12

i'm actually also looking for some tips in similar matter. i have no idea about computers and systems what so ever, just got here to find out about more about a possibility of outlook calendar sharing, like JimInKS, but i can see there was no reply since last year here.. Anyway, my point is that I've heard CodeTwo Public Folders are the best for what I want and many folks recomm this soft. but kerio offers similar functionality, right? is anyone able to convince me that kerio is better, someone using it to share Outlook documents with others? and one more thing i have Windows Seven 64-bit and that would be something like home-based sharing with a small group of people.
any comments welcome
  •  
BudDurland

I support about 100 users on Kerio, with a total message store of about 80GB. I am using the built-in anti-virus and anti-spam capabilities. It is currently running under Windows server 2003, on a AMD Opteron based HP server. We've been using Kerio now for about 5 years. Here are some rules of thumb I've learned:

Spend your money on the disks, not the CPU. If you have more than about 30 users, IDE disks will not be fast enough, especially if the clients are using OutLook. Even fast SATA drives aren't really fast enough. Sure, it will work, but the performance increase using SAS or SCSI drives is at least 75%

CPU and RAM is not as important. Almost any modern chip with 1GB or more of RAM will work.

For your OutLook users, the Offline connector (KOFF) is nice, but it is a resource hog and not real speedy. The online OutLook connector (KOC) is generally faster.

Thunderbird 3 in IMAP mode, with the Lightning is really working well for me here.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably host it on Linux. Indeed, when a 64 bit version of Kerio is released, I will probably convert then.

For me the biggest weakness in Kerio is it's lack of gray listing as an anti-spam tool. I've placed a suggestion, but probably other requests have received more votes.

Hope this helps

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
hbianchi

I have a 650 users installation, with a media of 500 GB storage each and an average of 200 received mails each day (about 70% is spam) and 50 originated mails a day. I work on a dual Quad Xeon platform (64 bits) over Red Hat Linux with 4 GB RAM.

But the processor and the memory is not the issue. We had problems until we moved to a SAS 15K raid storage. My suggestion is considering to put all the money in the storage performance, specially if you will permit big attachments in the messages. You should have a RAID (best seem to be raid 10) structure with as much drives as you can (more axes better performance).

About the O.S. Windows can be fine to use the 64bits addressing capabilities, but Linux works fine even working in 32 bits and is cheapee. We also use the Clamav antivirus which is free.
  •  
Ann12

thanks for the replies! You're talking here about really big numbers of users.. As I said, in my case it's a matter of a very small office sharing (let's say up to 15 people) and linux is rather no option for me. There is probably an important suggestion from you about this RAID and on line Outlook connector though. Although as I mentioned before I'm totally not a computer gig and still not everything is clear to me. In a meantime Iwas talking to one fellow, who was very strongly recommending CodeTwo Public Folders again, he's been using it for a while and stressed how easy to install and use this software is, full of essential options for efficient Outlook data sharing. I'm almost decided, but wanna forward your suggestions to my assistant, so he can help me to choose the best solution, so thx again for your tips!
  •  
Domonus

RedHat 5 x64, with SAS drives in Raid 5. I have over 150 users with a 900Gig email database, and it runs flawlessly.
Previous Topic: Change Default Time Zonne for users
Next Topic: OS recommended?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 01:39:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00483 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.