Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Weird issues with Microsoft DNS and Kerio (same server) (MS DNS and Kerio)
  •  
ssampier

Send a private message to this user
I have Kerio mail server installed on Windows 2003 R2 server. On this same server I have Microsoft DNS installed. I use this for Secondary DNS, so mail always has a fresh copy of the DNS to use.

I am using 2 IP addresses in Windows. The Microsoft DNS is bound to only one IP address.

I love Kerio. Everything is rock solid, most of the time. Occasionally I run into strange issues. I wish I could be more specific, but I think the MS DNS is the problem.

Occasionally mail gives me "cannot connect to remote host" error message. Usually mail will send a few hours later.

Today, all outgoing mail mail was trapped with that same error. I checked the firewall and everything was fine. I have a filtering rules to restrict outgoing smtp mail from non-mail servers. When I removed that rule everything starting flowing again.

I have configured Kerio to only send SMTP mail on the mail IP.

For now, I have removed MS DNS and that IP address from the Kerio system.

My question to you: Does anyone use Kerio and MS DNS on the same server?
  •  
sedell

Quote:
I have configured Kerio to only send SMTP mail on the mail IP.

I think what you're looking at is the SMTP listen address. Kerio, unlike every other mailserver I've used, doesn't have a way to specify which IP address to use for sending. It's been a long standing complaint, and causes problems for a number of people in the forums. Most likely, when you have problems with mail not sending, it used the DNS IP and bounced off the firewall.

You could add the DNS IP to the list of addresses allowed to send SMTP. You could also do away with the second address and have them both listen on the same IP.

Scott
  •  
ssampier

Scott,

I bet you're right!

I could configure my firewall server to accept the DNS address; no problem. However, when mail is sent what happens in the real world when the mail server/spam gateway does a reverse address lookup?

Example:

Email Server is 192.168.0.100
DNS Server 192.168.0.105

DNS PTR is dns.corp.com
Email PTR is email.corp.com

Thanks for your help.

As an aside, Kerio is good product. It seems like it could be a great product without some of these "fiddly-bits", to coin a phrase.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 October 2009 19:05]

Previous Topic: Content Filtering - Words
Next Topic: Suggestion - Lists as tab separated text
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 13:07:35 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.