Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Does Deleted Items Folder count in Quota?
  •  
GlennK

Send a private message to this user
Does the user's deleted items folder count in their quota? I did a quick test with my account and it didn't look like the file count went down when I deleted a bunch of messages.

I would hope that it doesn't count.

Thanks.
  •  
GetSync'd

Hey GlennK,

All the folders in a user's account do indeed add up toward the quota, including their Deleted Items folder, since that folder is also stored within the user's account.

If you're using a mail client, and depending on the client you're using, you could specify a folder on the local computer as your Trash folder - this would pull the message off the Kerio Mailserver and into that mail client's deleted items folder.

They would, however, not be synchronized across multiple mail clients, as they would be with Kerio via IMAP, but this solution would remove deleted messages from your user quota.

Cheers!

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
marook

Sure they do - it's still messages in the users storage!

It's just like when you drag a file to the Trash/Recycle Bin, it's still on the harddrive until you Empty the trash!

So, yeah, the Deleted Items is meant to be emptied from time to time!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
GlennK

Hmm. ok if that's the case then it would be better to have the deleted items cleaned out frequently. I'll keep that in mind.

As far as the Trash, that is a good idea for a local folder. I find that if you keep trash on the server with IMAP, it is impossible for the user to clean out the deleted items folder. When they delete it goes to trash. When trash is emptied it goes back to deleted items. Auto cleanout on the server can take care of it but if the user is attempting this on their own, the age of the messages keeps resetting.
  •  
marook

GlennK wrote on Sat, 17 October 2009 16:38
I find that if you keep trash on the server with IMAP, it is impossible for the user to clean out the deleted items folder. When they delete it goes to trash. When trash is emptied it goes back to deleted items. Auto cleanout on the server can take care of it but if the user is attempting this on their own, the age of the messages keeps resetting.

Then the users Mail.app is not set to use the right IMAP folders for the right things.

If the client is Apple Mail.app, then you can select a folder (like Deleted Items) and then go to Menu: Mailbox: Use this Mailbox for... and select Trash. Then it will be the same IMAP folder on the loacl client and the WebMail, so 'deleting' the mail will move it to the right Trash folder, and selecting Empty Trash in Mail will indeed empty the trash (and not move it back to another IMAP folder!)

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
GlennK

My previous thought was that there was no point in having the trash turned on at all since the deleted items is there, but setting the folder to be the trash in Apple Mail sounds smart because then when the user selects "Empty trash" it will clean out the folder. I'm going to go with this as a standard setting.
Previous Topic: Email Rules - Iphone
Next Topic: ER: Show summeries on Admin pages!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 08:11:26 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00467 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.