Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Latency Issue (Latency Issue with Kerio Winroute Firewall 6.7)
  •  

Send a private message to this user
I installed KWF 6.7 in 2 boxes, both experienced latency issues.

tested with speedtest.net with local server, ping delay increase from 30 ms(without kwf gateway) to 130ms(with the gateway in place). download and upload speed did not effected as bad, just 5-7% down.

could someone share any thought? Thanks.

Ben

box 1: pentium M 1.6Ghz, 1.25G DDR RAM, 5400RPM 2.5" IDE, 1*100M LAN, KWF 6.7 on XP Pro as gateway, dhcp enable.(trying to utilize an used laptop)

box 2: 1* VM in ESX3.5, HP DL385G2 2* quadcore AMD Opteron, 8G RAM, 10000rpm 146G SAS(P400 controller with 512M cache, Raid10), assigned 1G RAM to VM runnig KWF 6.7 on XP Pro as gateway, dhcp enable.(Testbed)

[Updated on: Tue, 03 November 2009 14:23]

•  
falco

I installed KWF 6.7.1 (appliance version)and endian firewall 2.3.1 (free appliance version) on my ESX3.5 Wmware Infrastructure.

The results latency tests whith speedtest.net as:

Endian: 10 ms
Winroute 215 ms

The results latency tests whith dslreports.com as:

Endian: 63 ms
Winroute 274 ms

I also tried my ip phone with both firewalls: the call through Endian was better.

The configuration of the firewalls is the basic.

I think that the KWF has serious performance problems.

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

These numbers are weird. Ping over KWF VM in my network is about 16-20ms.

I assume the speedtest.net does not test the real packet latency but only HTTP response time. Which is very different when using HTTP filtering rules, antivirus checks and Kerio Web Filter.
Try to use real "ping" for testing the latency.
  •  
giampos

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Thu, 05 November 2009 20:15
These numbers are weird. Ping over KWF VM in my network is about 16-20ms.

I assume the speedtest.net does not test the real packet latency but only HTTP response time. Which is very different when using HTTP filtering rules, antivirus checks and Kerio Web Filter.
Try to use real "ping" for testing the latency.

Ok, we assume speedtest.net test the http response latency, but THIS is very important for our performance, for example I need to have a 1 our web browsing with approximately 100 page changes, the perception of connection speed and quality is very different between 30 and 300 milliseconds.
I completely agree with this issue, the latency is to high, in the basic config too, with no av plugin and without HTTP filtering rules.
I think developers have to work around this.
  •  
bruggles

We just switched over from a Juniper SSG5 and I note some latency issues as well, running 6.7.1 on XP PRO, Confused Dell Poweredge 2850, Dual 3Ghz Xeons, 4GB of RAM, RAID 1 146GB 10,000 RPM drives.

Am wondering if going to the LINUX appliance might help speed up processing.
  •  
Goran

[Updated on: Sun, 24 January 2010 15:42]

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
Previous Topic: Block certain spammers inside our network
Next Topic: utorrent and kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 22:53:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.