Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Big files
  •  
benodilo

Send a private message to this user
I find a really great and transparent solution for send a mail with big files :
http://www.calexium.com/images/stories/mf/leaflet/mailfounta in%20-%20en%20-%20leaflet.pdf

Can you considere to integrate this solution to KMS ?

Best regards.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 November 2009 11:28]

•  
ricard

Yes, this is a great (thank you Smile ) but patented technology. So if Kerio Team want to include it into its MailServer product, they have to contact us first.

Best regards,

Cédric RICARD
CTO <_at_> Calexium (www.calexium.com)
  •  
marook

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

Email is NOT, I repeat NOT!!!!! Meant for filetransfers !!!!!! When do people LEARN!!!!!

Patentented or not, it's NEVER going to be great. Use a filetransfer tool, and EDUCATE your stupid people to use it!

Did I get my message through? Smile

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
TorW

Agreed, and Calexium also agrees (exclamation mark overload notwithstanding); Mailfountain stores the attachment on the appliance and replaces the MIME attachment with a URL. Something like that. I think this part of the solution is pretty smart, but the rest I'm not sure about since most of Calexium's website and info material is in French.
  •  
benodilo

marook, I think you don't understand the mechanism.
But i don't say your are stupid...

And we can imagine it's an option !

[Updated on: Sat, 16 January 2010 18:33]

•  
boblowski

TorW wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 16:06
Mailfountain stores the attachment on the appliance and replaces the MIME attachment with a URL. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of mail servers which offer the same functionality right out of the box. Never took a closer look though.

benodilo wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 18:31
marook, I think you don't understand the mechanism.
But i don't say your are stupid...

I think Marook very well understood the mechanism, but what he meant to say is that if people put the words 'mail' and 'you can send that file to me by' in one sentence, they ought to be burned at the stake while being forced to listen to old Nana Mouskouri records. Do yourself a favour and spend a few dollars/euro's on a proper document management solution.
  •  
benodilo

I think we really have not the same sense of service for users (thks for stupid users).

Sorry but the users don't want hear "you can send this mail because your file is too big". Uses changes. And I don't understand why this solution is not a good idea. Replace automaticaly the file by an URL is really a good idea. The others MTA will have less work...

How your users send a big file right now ?
This solution makes it just automatically are currently manually.
  •  
boblowski

benodilo wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 20:00
I think we really have not the same sense of service for users (thks for stupid users).

Sorry but the users don't want hear "you can send this mail because your file is too big". Uses changes. And I don't understand why this solution is not a good idea. Replace automaticaly the file by an URL is really a good idea. The others MTA will have less work...

Those users users make their own work needlessly difficult. Instead of letting the mail server handle their files, they should let your file (document) server handle their mail. The general procedure looks like this: the client logs in to his account on your document server, uploads or downloads the files he wants to send or needs, and the document server notifies the recipient or owner of the file by mail of the up- or download. Less hassle, verifiable, secure and controllable.

Quote:
How your users send a big file right now ?

Depending on the file system, I believe FTP has no limits on file size. Apart from that there are many different web based document management solutions. I like Inforouter, like Kerio very user friendly. If you're looking for some super simple but user friendly file transfer solution, take a look at Massimo Melina's HTTP File Server or FTP servers with a good web based interface, like CrushFTP.
  •  
My IT Indy

marook wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 09:04
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

Email is NOT, I repeat NOT!!!!! Meant for filetransfers !!!!!! When do people LEARN!!!!!

Patentented or not, it's NEVER going to be great. Use a filetransfer tool, and EDUCATE your stupid people to use it!

Did I get my message through? Smile

I hate to tell you, but it IS a mechanism for sending files to remote users or users outside the LAN. Technology is meant to help people, people will not conform to our definitions of what the technology is for.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ricard

All email users don't have a document management solution, and some don't want to have one, especially small companies. And they use email every day to send small documents like MS Words, or simply a message to their colleges, friends, wife, etc...

And "stupid users" don't want to take another tool only because instead of 19 Mb, they document now is 21 Mb weighed with the 2 lines of text they've just added (plus all the automated version history added by the Word Processor...) and their recipients don't allow emails of more than 20 Mb....
Users just want to send their documents without any problem nor questions... Lot of them don't even know the size of their document ("hein? what is 'size' of my Word document? the page count?... Wink )

Cédric RICARD
CTO <_at_> Calexium (www.calexium.com)
Previous Topic: Changing Admin Console Password
Next Topic: Automated email deleting from INBOX folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 11:59:18 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00492 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.