Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving Reviews (Anybody using InBoxer or Sonian?)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
We are attempting to find an archiving product that can be integrated with Kerio and give our users the ability to search for archived messages.

We are going to be evaluating Inboxer and Sonian as two possible candidates. Does anyone have experience with either of these products?

I am desperately seeking a product that will allow me to force users to delete the tons of email they insist they must hang on to for CYA purposes.

Any suggestions or comments regarding the aforementioned products would be greatly appreciated.
  •  
p0ddie

hi,

can't really help with those products but I want to share with you my plans to test mailarchiva really soon. The upsides so far:

- free open source version
- can connect via IMAP and also via SMTP (KMS sends a copy of every message directly to the archiver rather than having it poll mailboxes via iMAP all the time)
- flat file structure as with Kerio, so even if you chose to use a different product later, you have no database issues
- did I mention it's free?
I will put this on to a VM on some server and have it use an iSCSI storage for archiving purposes.

You will then put quotas on your user's mailboxes. They will make damn sure to delete some of the old mails if they can't use their mailbox anymore, I guess... they can just delete everything off their mailbox, as every mail is archived directly after it has been send/received.

Slap a nice 2 TB RAID 1 onto your mailarchiva machine (it can also be an Intel Atom machine for a few 100$) and off you go.

•  
p0ddie

as a follow up:

I played with Mailarchiva on a Debian VM today (also on Ubuntu Server, though that's not set up completely yet, waiting for more iSCSI storage space...): It rocks. It is zippy and has great simplicity in usage together with very detailed search filters. I can recommend it.

Holler me if you have questions Smile
  •  
gbrown100

Does it allow you to import messages from the Kerio mail archives?

Are you using this in a production environment or just for kicks?

Thanks

Graham
  •  
p0ddie

Graham,

I am using it in my office on my Kerio testserver, but I have also installed it with a customer.

I'm quite sure you can archive the Kerio archive easily.

Previously, that customer hat public folders full of mails that were the "archive" - they need constant access to their archived mails, so that's where they were parked.

I copied all these mails plus all the mails from their accounts (in/outbox) into one folder in the public folders, then I created a new user in Kerio, copied *all* of those files from the public folders into the inbox (so yes, Kerio handles an inbox with more than 100,000 mails Cool ) and then turned on the journaling IMAP account in Mailarchiva to suck all these mails into the archive.

It doesn't matter if mails that were in "sent" previously were in the inbox, as Mailarchiva does index the mail headers and has a good idea which mail was sent from which person to which recipient and so on...

Several hours and several gigabytes later, all of the mails were archived (moved from inbox to deleted items in the Kerio mailbox I set up) so I verified some mails in the archive and then deleted the account I created in Kerio.

Let me know if you need more info.
  •  
gbrown100

Well I'll take a look at it, although I use Kerio's archive right now I am not looking forward to the day I need to find something...

Given that you are allowing constant access to the archive presumeably you have a fairly strict deletion policy on everyones mail account in Kerio since it would cut down on duplication?

Always interesting to hear other people's archiving strategies!

Thanks

Graham
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You may be interested in upcoming webinar about email archiving: http://www.kerio.com/company/events
  •  
p0ddie

hey,

the point of the archive is not really to cut down on dupes, it's to ensure no mail gets lost or deleted by accident. You know users, they are sometimes mindless and either delete mails they need or come to you and need a mail they deleted two years ago. Or you have some sort of audit and need some official to be able to see through all your mails.

That's what the archive is for.

That said, I implemented this archiving solution to be able to put quotas on the mailboxes and to slim down the public folders, as some of these people think they must use MS Entourage for Mac and their huge 10GB mailboxes really kill Entourage's database...
  •  
gbrown100

Quote:

You may be interested in upcoming webinar about email archiving: http://www.kerio.com/company/events

Yeah, thanks for that - I signed up already!

Quote:
That said, I implemented this archiving solution to be able to put quotas on the mailboxes and to slim down the public folders, as some of these people think they must use MS Entourage for Mac and their huge 10GB mailboxes really kill Entourage's database...

Indeed, I realised the reason for the archive, just that for Kerio's own archive right now it is hard to have a mailbox quota in place because then people keep asking for access to the archive all the time. Like you say implementing something that allows users to view their archive is a great opportunity to cap peoples mailbox sizes and avoid issues with larger mailboxes. Trouble is, sometimes people like their giant mailboxes and are resistant to change.
  •  
p0ddie

yeah, those users are just as useful as those complaining that they still needed their 5,000+ mails in "deleted items"...

I suggest, since it's almost christmas, you order this for them at Amazon:

http:// www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0399144463/ref =sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260886761&sr=8-1

Laughing

Previous Topic: Kerio Mailserver on multiple IPs
Next Topic: KMS 6.7.n & Filter Replies
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 07:35:21 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.