Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Email breakup or truncating for SMS
  •  
scsc_tech

Send a private message to this user
Ok this request is a bit odd, but very important for my application. I have an alert log that is auto generated by one of my servers. I want it sent SMS to my phone but the message is way over 160 characters and the info that I really need is at the end of the email.

So far I have an account set up and a rule in place that sends a notification to mycell<_a.t_>vtext.com, but it is being cut off at the 160 character mark.

Is there a way to set up the filter or do a custom script/cli action that will allow me to either break this email up at 160 characters and send it in multiple messages or allow me to drop the first 5 lines or so of the email and only send the last few?

Again I know its odd and complicated, but is it at all possible?

thanks

i am running the latest version of kerio mail server for mac

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2009 21:09]

•  
d.

We use a similar type of SMS feature. Our SMS provider gives us the option of the "email body" being used for the SMS vs the "email subject" being used for the SMS.

Does your SMS provider have this feature? I.e. choose whether your server / app sends the "subject" as the alert, which would presumably be shorter?

Cheers,
D.

•  
scsc_tech

It sends from, subject and body. unfortuantely the body alone is too long to be in the SMS. I need a way of sending it in chunks or truncating it
  •  
scsc_tech

It sends from, subject and body. unfortuantely the body alone is too long to be in the SMS. I need a way of sending it in chunks or truncating it
  •  
d.

Hi folks.

How about this for a solution... Use Mail Filters in Kerio Mail Server (webmail).

I'm working on the assumption that you might have a few set "scenarios" of messages that your server sends you, and that they are semi-predictable.

(e.g. The server sends a message something like "I'm too hot", "I'm out of disk space", "Something bad just happened, you might want to come into the server room" etc. -- grossly simplified, but you get the idea Smile

Steps to get KMS to re-shape (effectively truncate messages) for use in sending to SMS:

1. Set up your first "destination" email address. This is kind of a "processing" email address (not the SMS email address).

2. Set up your actual final destination email address (or alias). This is where you want the refined / final email messages to go to, to be turned into SMSes.

3. Login to that first 'processing' email account, in Kerio Webmail.

4. Go into Settings -> Mail Filters.

5. Set up the first mail filter, looking for particular criteria in the email (body, subject, whatever). E.g. if message received says "I'm too hot", then...

6. Set up the action to send a particular message, to that 2nd destination email addresses, for SMSing you.

E.g. "Help scsc_tech, Server1234 says it's too hot, and it's going to melt your important data soon".

7. Save the filter!

8. Set your servers to send messages to that 'processing' email address.

9. Setup further mail filters, for other particular criteria, and setup matching actions.

10. Test the filters, modify / tweak as needed.

Does that provide a potential solution for your needs?

Cheers,
D.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 December 2009 04:35]

•  
scsc_tech

dy-e

Thanks! This sounds like a can-do solution. Kerio forums didnt alert me that I had a reply, otherwise I would have thanked you earlier.

Cheers.
  •  
d.

No worries. Keep us posted if it works out for you.

Cheers,
D.

Previous Topic: Full store AV scan process?
Next Topic: Received email at outside office
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 21:26:22 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00444 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.