Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Throughput too low
  •  
kwfuser

Send a private message to this user
How can I determine what is the bottleneck in my throughput?

We've been using WinRoute for users, but previously only had a T-1 connection so it was the major limiting factor. After upgrading to a faster connection, it appears WinRoute is now the major bottleneck. Speeds as measured to a ISP speed test page (to minimize the number of hops invovled):

• Behind modem: 50mbps down / 5mbps up
  • Behind WinRoute: 20mbps down / 3mbps up

I've already tried the things in knowledge base article 395 ( http:// support.kerio.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarti cle&kbarticleid=395&nav=0,2 ) to no avail.

Here is the configuration:

• CPU: 2.4GHz, Memory: 1.25GB
  • WinXP Pro
  • WinRoute 6.7.1, no antivirus or ISS OrangeWeb filter
  • Nothing else runs on box
  • Task manager shows memory commit charge as 159M/1517M

I have already tried the things in the above linked KB article, including disabling the all URL rules and forbidden words installed by default in the HTTP content filter, and putting a traffic rule at the top of the list for a specific IP so I could run tests which short-circuit all the normal sequence of policy rules.

The throughput remained pretty much the same.

Could my network adapters be that bad? Is a 2.4GHz CPU too slow to get past 20mbps throughput?

Any suggestions?

•  
more_4_characters

The WinXP is a CLIENT OS, who have a connections
limits for simultaneous connected users. It`s a 10 TCP simultaneous connection. Older (and server`s) OSes (like a Vista, Win7) do not have a this connection`s limit`s sa well. Try to a "unofficial patch" named "TCP-IP half-open" (look like this, i can`t remember full name) for your WinXP, and speed normally up as well.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 December 2009 10:01]

•  
kwfuser

more_4_characters wrote
Try to a "unofficial patch" named "TCP-IP half-open" (look like this, i can`t remember full name) for your WinXP, and speed normally up as well.

Thanks for the suggestion; I had not heard of that before. We installed it and increased the limit from 10 to 200. A download speed test didn't show a change beyond the normal fluctuations in tests.

But I would expect the description of the half-open scenario to make a bigger impact on concurrent usage by multiple users, than a specific download test. Once it has the connection going, I wouldn't expect it be queued again.

So although it hasn't helped a specific test, perhaps it will improve perceived speed by multiple users.

Still looking for other suggestions. Maybe I should try running the software application version on the box?
  •  
winkelman

WinRoute is know for having some difficulties with certain network adapters, for example with RealTek chip based NIC's.

I have a 50Mbit (up & down) fibre and WinRoute doesn't even break into a sweat when using that bandwith. Xeon 3Ghz CPU never reaches 20% and that is with all bells and whistles turned on (built-in McAfee AV scanning, protocol inspectors, Kerio Web Filtering, DNS resolving for all connections, etc.)
Previous Topic: Kerio & Windows QoS
Next Topic: Maximum Internet Line Speed
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 05:09:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.