Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Alternative Backup Scenario
  •  
regisit

Send a private message to this user
Hi, one of the key benefits of Kerio over Exchange (for me at least!) is it's flat file storage architecture. This should make for much simpler backing up offsite nightly, but the standard online approach to backing up to one or more ZIPs could be a problem for large mail stores.

Therefore, I'm wondering if the following would be feasible:

- Online backup of the system config only to ZIP i.e. not including the mail store.
- Offsite backup of the system config ZIP plus the mailstore as it exists on disk.

Restoration would then be to retrieve the mail store folders from offsite and then recover the system config from the ZIP.

Is this feasible? Would the system have a problem if there were files in the mail store folder that were not in the mail index i.e. new mail files added after the system config was backed up?

I should add that the offsite backup is for disaster recovery only; we'd retain normal onsite backups to an external drive for recovery in the case of hardware failure, corruption etc...

Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 December 2009 17:05]

•  
BudDurland

The problem with doing a file-level backup is that Kerio is constantly manipulating some files. Maybe not the e-mail file, but the index and statistics. Unless you shutdown the mail server service during the backup, it's easy for the files to get out of sync,

FWIW, I use the Kerio backup mechanism to backup our mail store (about 90GB) to a network share. Sundays are a full backup, which takes about 4 hours, and all other days are an incremental, about 20-30 minutes.

I recently used the backup to migrate Kerio from one windows server to another; it worked flawlessly.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
regisit

I would exclude any "system" files from the file backup so it's just backing up the mail files. I'd expect these index/stats files to be included in the system config backup? This would give a snapshot of the mail store at the time of backup.

Using the standard backup for onsite backups is not a problem. The issue comes when these have to be tansferred offsite nightly for disaster recovery. Currently for Exchange, for smaller mail stores we run a full database backup nightly and let the backup software delta technology intelligently send just the changes offsite. For larger databases, we have a nightly log file backup and a weekly database.

Just to clarify one point - I understood the "incrementals" are actually differential backups i.e. changes since the last full backup rather than changes since the last backup of either type?

Previous Topic: kerio mailserver 6.7.3+nokia e72+imap
Next Topic: Getting started on Snow Leopard, Mail and iCal
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 07:07:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00347 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.