Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio, GAL, and Android (difficulties in getting an unsupported configuration to work)
  •  
brucemcl

Send a private message to this user
I'm having some problems with Kerio and Android. To start with, I know that Kerio does not support Android. I know that flipping the unsupported bit on the mail server is not supported either. I will list my problems anyway, perhaps the list will be helpful to someone. I'm currently running Kerio 6.7.0 patch 1 build 7695.

1. I cannot search for contacts using Simplified WebMail. This seems to be true everywhere I tested it. Searching the shared contacts is very important to the organization I work for. So, in my case, webmail is not a useful solution on Android or any phone. Is there a secret Kerio URL or a preference I don't know about to enable searching for contacts on a lightweight web browser?

2. Limited GAL accessibility in "Work Email," my native Android software. I can look up names from the GAL while I am composing an email, but cannot look up names to make phone calls. I'm running version 1.0.0033 of this app, which is copyright by HTC Corporation.

I understand that other Android models and OS versions may have slightly better Exchange software, or none at all. Note that the Work Email software is also missing a lot of other features, like calendar support. Contact support in general does work well either.

3. Touchdown only returns one reply to a GAL query. Touchdown is a third party Exchange product for Android. It handles email, calendar, and contacts surprisingly well. But when I do a search for Bob, Bill, or whatever in our directory of 1200 names, I only get one name back instead of the five or six names I should get.

If I could get a workaround or for this problem then Touchdown might be a workable solution. I have sent a log file to Touchdown tech support but he doesn't have any suggestions yet.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

brucemcl wrote on Sun, 20 December 2009 21:26
I'm currently running Kerio 6.7.0 patch 1 build 7695.

Upgrade to latest version is highly recommended. Particularly when it comes to mobile device support.
Quote:

1. I cannot search for contacts using Simplified WebMail. This seems to be true everywhere I tested it. Searching the shared contacts is very important to the organization I work for. So, in my case, webmail is not a useful solution on Android or any phone. Is there a secret Kerio URL or a preference I don't know about to enable searching for contacts on a lightweight web browser?

Simple Webmail can search public contacts (folder in the Public folders) by default. Try it in your internet browser on a PC.
Quote:

2. Limited GAL accessibility in "Work Email," my native Android software. I can look up names from the GAL while I am composing an email, but cannot look up names to make phone calls. I'm running version 1.0.0033 of this app, which is copyright by HTC Corporation.

What Android device is that? HTC Hero? What carrier?
Quote:

3. Touchdown only returns one reply to a GAL query. Touchdown is a third party Exchange product for Android. It handles email, calendar, and contacts surprisingly well. But when I do a search for Bob, Bill, or whatever in our directory of 1200 names, I only get one name back instead of the five or six names I should get.

Touchdown is not supported client. We haven't tested it so I cannot comment it.
  •  
brucemcl

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 12:24
brucemcl wrote on Sun, 20 December 2009 21:26
I'm currently running Kerio 6.7.0 patch 1 build 7695.

Upgrade to latest version is highly recommended. Particularly when it comes to mobile device support.

I agree and understand, will talk to the financial people about this after the holidays.

Quote:

Quote:

Simple Webmail can search public contacts (folder in the Public folders) by default. Try it in your internet browser on a PC.

I see a search bar in mail folders using the simple version on my Mac, but the search bar disappears when I move to contact folders. Perhaps this was added in a later version of Kerio than I am using. I also do not see calendars at all in the simple version, on phones or Mac.

Quote:

Quote:

What Android device is that? HTC Hero? What carrier?

My mistake, I have no GAL access at all from Work Email on my mT3G on T-Mobile. No contacts access at all, in fact, and no calendar access either. Work email on the myTouch 3G is about as basic of an Exchange client as you can get.

Quote:

Quote:

Touchdown is not supported client. We haven't tested it so I cannot comment it.

I figured out how to get ActiveSync queries to show up in one of the logs in Kerio. I sent him some log entries, so maybe he will be able to get Touchdown working. I'm not optimistic for a quick fix though. Tomorrow I will try Moxier Mail and see how that works.

I will post back here with results and any more news from Touchdown. Thanks for your time and attention on this.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 December 2009 05:00]

•  
brucemcl

Update: I tried Moxier mail on my myTouch3G and I have the same problem with GAL lookups. I get one contact in response to a search instead of many contacts. I wish my Kerio server was up to date so that my experience would be more valuable, and possibly more successful. I did get approval to resubscribe to Kerio so we will be up to date soon.
  •  
ccjwells

Have you tried the Roadsync client for Android yet?
  •  
brucemcl

Roadsync was the first app that I thought of to try. But as I did more research I found that the Android version of Roadsync does not support GAL lookups, which we need.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/roadsync/android/features.ht ml
  •  
brucemcl

Adding to this log of my experiences. We are now running 7.6.3 Patch 1 of Kerio Mailserver. I have the unsupported bit turned on.

One employee has been using a Droid for about a week with no problems. We downloaded and installed the Corporate Directory app and it works for GAL lookup.

I tried the latest beta of Touchdown on my myTouch 3G running Andrlid 1.6 and the GAL lookup is working as it should now, returning multiple names when appropriate.

Another employee bought a Droid Eris earlier today. I set him up with HTC's built-in Exchange support with no problems yet. It appears from the Eris manual that the built-in Exchange support has limited use of the GAL. It looks like you can use it inside the email app to look up email addresses, but that's all. No phone number or other contact info can be looked up from the GAL as far as I know.
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

I have the motorola droid on verizon, and I (we) have yet to get attachments working yet. Has anyone else out there gotten attachments to be able to download?

This is such crap that motorola/google promised a fix for this on Jan 22, and we have still yet to get one. If their are any success stories out there we are all ears.

We are on Kerio version 7.6.1 build 7762 with the allow unsupported devices flag on for our blackberries/Notifysync to work, so this should work with the Droid.

-I built a house out of my to-do list, I now have the biggest house in the country. Awesome!
Trent Greenawalt
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

"Unsupported devices" option does allow the device to connect. It does not guarantee it will work. With Android you need Kerio Connect 7, which contains support for these phones.
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

Hi Pdobry,

Thanks for the quick response to this. Can you please provide us with more information or a link on Kerio Connect 7. We were under the understanding that since Kerio has an exchange activesync connection that it should work directly with the droid. I have no issues getting work email, calendar syncing and contacts syncing, the only thing that doesn't work is when I want to download attachments. I really don't know if this is A) Verizon blocking attachments, B) Google's OS blocking attachments in the native client, or C) Kerio blocking the attachments. Regardless of who's fault/issue it is, this partnership should work and using this as a business phone it is imperitive to have attachments open on this phone.

So if anyone has figured out a way to make this work as it should, please let us know. We shouldn't have to pay extra for applications when they should work out of the box.

Thanks,
Trent

-I built a house out of my to-do list, I now have the biggest house in the country. Awesome!
Trent Greenawalt
  •  
M Moogle

Trent wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 16:41
Hi Pdobry,

Thanks for the quick response to this. Can you please provide us with more information or a link on Kerio Connect 7. We were under the understanding that since Kerio has an exchange activesync connection that it should work directly with the droid. I have no issues getting work email, calendar syncing and contacts syncing, the only thing that doesn't work is when I want to download attachments. I really don't know if this is A) Verizon blocking attachments, B) Google's OS blocking attachments in the native client, or C) Kerio blocking the attachments. Regardless of who's fault/issue it is, this partnership should work and using this as a business phone it is imperitive to have attachments open on this phone.

So if anyone has figured out a way to make this work as it should, please let us know. We shouldn't have to pay extra for applications when they should work out of the box.

Thanks,
Trent

My Droid doesn't download attachments either (I haven't tried hooking it up to the Connect 7 beta yet). Verizon definitely is not blocking attachments, as they worked fine on my old WM phone. Google isn't blocking attachments either, as they work fine with an actual Microsoft Exchange server, or if you set up an IMAP connection. Kerio isn't really blocking the attachments per se, it's probably just an incompatibility between the client on Android and the ActiveSync implementation in KMS.

ActiveSync for a long time was a Windows Mobile/Exchange specific protocol - only recently has Microsoft started licensing it out to others. And if Microsoft's idea of "documentation" applies to what they give out for ActiveSync, I'm sure there's a lot of different way to interpret and implement it, which can cause bugs like attachments not working. So when Google says that Android supports ActiveSync, they've probably only bothered to test it against an actual Exchange server, and not the other, lesser-known implementations out there.

If you have a current subscription, there's no reason you can't upgrade to Kerio Connect 7 once it comes out - there isn't anything you'd need to additionally purchase AFAIK.
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

So has anyone installed Kerio Connect and officially downloaded an attachment using the default email client on the motorola droid?

We are on the most recent version of kerio mailserver and it still does not work.

Trent Greenawalt
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Support for Android phones is in Kerio Connect 7. Kerio MailServer does not support these devices and therefore you may expect such issues.
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

How are we looking for a rollout date for Kerio Connect? Next week? Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

Trent

Trent Greenawalt
marook

Ahh.. It's been out since tuesday!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: Custom Webmail Login - Kerio Connect 7
Next Topic: Kerio Connect 7 and CA r8.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 05:09:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00581 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.