Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » VPN: Access to remote LAN devices without VPN client
  •  
CQMaarten

Send a private message to this user
Hi. I'm a bit confused about the functionality Kerio offers with respect to VPN. For a while now, i've been succesfully running a VPN Server (Kerio) with multiple VPN Clients connected to it. The VPN Server is part of local LAN that needs to be accessible to the VPN clients.

Is it possible for a remote VPN client to ping devices on the LAN the VPN Server belongs to *without* having to install the VPN Client on these devices? This may not be a problem for Windows installations, but i also have several non-windows devices that i would like to be accessible through the VPN.

The local LAN uses the network 10.0.2.0/24. The remote clients use 192.168.0.0/24. The VPN network is 192.168.102.0/24. The VPN Server has two NICs; one for internet and VPN traffic and one for local LAN traffic. Technically, i want packets from VPN Clients destined for e.g. 10.0.2.15 to go to the VPN server and then reach the device with that IP on the local LAN. Can i do this with Kerio and, more specifically, how do i do this?

I've already tried to add a custom route in the routing table (10.0.2.0/24 traffic needs to be directed to the local LAN NIC). The only thing this changes, is that a tracert reveals that packets from a VPN client destined for 10.0.2.15 at least reach the VPN Server. But from there, they don't get to their intended target.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 January 2010 19:24]

•  
CQMaarten

No-one knows how to do this? I'm a bit surprised about that, as i assumed that this would be something that many people would want to do with the KWF VPN?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I'm a little bit confused too. Installing VPN client on devices in internal network is technical nonsense.

It is simple. Each client in the Internet needs a VPN client for accessing all devices in the internal network. The VPN client connects to the VPN server, which is a part of LAN. Routing between 10.xxx and 192.168.xxx network is managed by the Windows machine with KWF (and VPN server). If the device with IP address 10.xxx needs to access the VPN clients, then there must be either:

1. route on the device saying that 192.168.xx segment is routed through machine with VPN server
or - which is much better
2. VPN server (KWF server) is a default route for all clients in local network. This way all the traffic will be routed correctly to the Internet or VPN network (VPN clients).

[Updated on: Sun, 24 January 2010 13:19]

Previous Topic: Opening port for Windows Media Player
Next Topic: Block certain spammers inside our network
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:53:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00407 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.