Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » What is you quota for users?
  •  
giobbi

Send a private message to this user
Hi.

I'm curious, how much quota do you have? I have 190 users with 1100Mb quota on each user. I find this pretty ok. I noticed thou that IMAP is getting slower and slower due the massive amount of mails.

Regards
  •  
TorW

We have varying quotas since each user is paying for disk space. Some have 100 MB while other have 5GB and more. YMMV. IMAP connections will indeed seem slow if the users have several thousand mails in their inbox root folder. The pain starts around 5-7000 mails in my experience, even if the user is on the LAN.

Almost every activity in the folder means the server must regenerate and reindex the listing and send it to the client, slowing the whole thing down. Tip your users about making subfolders to organize their mail. There's no magic switch you can flip to make the slowness go away.

You can only throw so much technology at a slow-moving IMAP.

Note: I'm talking about an IMAP server reading mails from a flat file storage here. Other (i.e. non-Kerio) IMAP implementations may do things dfferently.
  •  
GlennK

2GB here, with some clients at 3. Works fine for me, but I do notice the slowness in large mailboxes.
  •  
winkelman

About 130 users, the bulk is on 500Mb, some around 250Mb, some around 700Mb and about 3 or 4 in the multiple Gb range.
  •  
GlennK

I wanted to come back to this old thread and find out where everyone is 2 years later. We're at 2GB for baseline, many on 4, some on 6. I had someone request accounts with 20GB. Do you have caps on your max storage per mailbox? How do you think huge boxes affect server performance vs splitting the data between more mailboxes? Obviously a huge mailbox is not going to work well in the client software, but I'm speaking strictly from a server perspective.
  •  
iamcj

you can monitor the server's resource, like CPU, disk usage and memory usage.

from my experience, just say for server or webmail, huge quota or large mail will not be a problem. which affect the speed most is 10000+ mails in one folder.
  •  
TorW

We've seen the same as iamcj; the overall amount of mail isn't a problem, but the number of mails in each folder is, especially Inbox and Sent Items. The Deleted Items is kept in check by the automaic cleanout agent.

Our largest mailbox has a quota of 16GB, plus the user has several years worth of PST archives available trough Outlook.

In other words, setting a cap on quotas isn't necessary from a technical standpoint, IF the users are trained to keep the Inbox and Sent Items folders in reasonable trim.
  •  
GlennK

Good point on the number of items. That's the only time we've had problems so far as well. I suppose the issue is that a large quota leads to a huge number of items. I find that the sent folder is the most overlooked and it rarely gets cleaned out. I suppose I could cap it simply based on number of items. It would be a nice to be able to control number of items per folder. I guess that's a feature request for the request forum. In the meantime, maybe setting the number of items to the max number a folder can handle without getting unduly taxed might be the way to go.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 12:59]

•  
pcunix

GlennK wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 06:54
Good point on the number of items. That's the only time we've had problems so far as well. I suppose the issue is that a large quota leads to a huge number of items. I find that the sent folder is the most overlooked and it rarely gets cleaned out. I suppose I could cap it simply based on number of items. It would be a nice to be able to control number of items per folder. I guess that's a feature request for the request forum. In the meantime, maybe setting the number of items to the max number a folder can handle without getting unduly taxed might be the way to go.

I've asked again and again why Kerio doesn't have "Item Archive" that would work exactly like "Item Cleanout" except put the messages into "Inbox201206", "Sent201206" andso on..

99.99% of users wouldn't object at all and of course (just as with cleanout) you could override for those few who didn't want it.

I've never had an answer other than "We're working on better indexing". So? This is still of value to users even if you did every manage to create a system where a 200,000 message folder was no big deal.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
Previous Topic: Custom login window 7.4.1 has it changed?
Next Topic: multiple domains one mailbox
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 23:30:52 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00412 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.