Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » backup - is there a faster way (backups)
  •  
rleslie70

Send a private message to this user
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. Our mail store is about 100 gigs. We are backing up to a usb drive (500 gig external hard drive). We are running the kerio backup and it takes about 17 hours to do a full backup. Thus, i'm only running full backups on the weekend and incremental backups during the week. It would be nice to run full backups more than once a week. Is there a way to speed this up? What are other users doing for backups? Has anyone tried any external products like ultrabac for the backups? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up the backups?
  •  
TorW

The built-in backup is more than quick enough. Our mail store is slightly bigger than 100 GB and it's done in about an hour. We back up to a SAN across a gigabit link. Your bottleneck is the USB drive in my opinion. A slow, external drive won't work very good since the backup archive is created directly on the drive. You'll probably see better results backing up to an extra internal drive in the server.
  •  
giobbi

1 Hour? What hardware do you run?

How do you copy, via finder, rsync, cp, ditto?

I have an old PPC Xserve, close to 200GB store. A full kerio-backup is 6:30-7 hours. Doing incremental every other day since a full recover would take days to do if i only run one full backup weekly.

Moving to faster hardware. Would like to use rsync but its to slow, the backupwindow is to large and kerio is extremely sensitive - i have a huge problem with user quotas getting broken, weekly.

Only thing im considering now is backup to a firewire drive or something speedy like that, and with some backup software like bru or retrspect (that can verify the copy too)..
  •  
My IT Indy

I would look at eSata for backups if you're looking external. We do some backups over NFS and Gb ethernet and the backups aren't too bad, I don't know an exact timeframe, but they're done before I get up in the morning. The problem is more than likely the old hardware creating the zip files than the backups themselves.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
rleslie70

TORW, I would be interested in what hardware you're running as well. Giobbi, are you backing up to the server or an external drive? 7 hrs for a mail store that large isn't too bad. I would be happy to get ours down to 5 or 6 hours and we have half your size.

•  
rleslie70

I'm not that familiar with esata drives. Would i need an esata port on my server? Or how would that esata external drive connect to my server? not usb, right?
  •  
My IT Indy

You would need an esata card in that server, but since it's an older PPC XServe you might be out of luck. FW800 should suffice instead.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
j.a.duke

rleslie70 wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 13:58
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. Our mail store is about 100 gigs. We are backing up to a usb drive (500 gig external hard drive). We are running the kerio backup and it takes about 17 hours to do a full backup. Thus, i'm only running full backups on the weekend and incremental backups during the week. It would be nice to run full backups more than once a week. Is there a way to speed this up? What are other users doing for backups? Has anyone tried any external products like ultrabac for the backups? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up the backups?

I'm doing backups of about 175 gigs to a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ over gigabit ethernet and my weekly full backup (run Sunday AM) takes about 6-6.5 hours. I'm running a 2GHz Quad (2x dual) Intel xServe. I suspect a large amount of the time is the zip compression; I haven't tried the backups any other way.

My incrementals are usually about 5-10 minutes each day.

You can get an eSATA card for the xServe from FirmTek, but while that will improve your throughput significantly, faster hardware (or no compression) will be the source of more improvement.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
TorW

Sorry, I was a little quick off the bat there. The full backups take about 5 hours, not one! I don't know where I got that number from. Sorry.

We use a 4GB quad core IBM HS21 blade with the mailstore attached to a DS3200 SAN via SAS. OS is RHEL.
  •  
giobbi

Doing locally, to the same drive actually, all for speed. When done i send all files, via rsync and BRU to other locations via gigabit.

p
  •  
zichovsky

I have not so large storage, about 30GiB now.
Backing up to USB2.0 harddrive (WD MyBook), full backup on Sunday, and differential backups every day. (So for restore I need only 2 backups.)
Full backup takes 2 hours which is about 5MiB/sec. Because this USB drive is capable of writing speed about 25MiB/sec, I think that USB drive is not limiting speed of backup. Compression will be IMHO backup time eater. Unfortunately there is no way to switch off compression to see difference.
  •  
rleslie70

Well, server is HP ProLiant DL585 G5. it's not that old. but i looked through the specs and don't see an esata card listed. I'll probably go the route of buying an external NAS, like a buffalo, that's gigabit and backup to that. i would rather not have to take email down to install a pci card, as we have over a thousand users. thanks for everyone's input!
  •  
mitev13

we have been backing up to the 3rd drive on my G5 xserve (first 2 are raid 1).
we also now have 146GB of mailstore. we do nightly differential backups and full on sunday. we then rsync that backup to another server.
it does take between 6 and 7 hours to do a full backup so i was worried if we need to restore ho long will that take.
we recently made a clone on a OWC riad 1 (software raid) and we are rsyncing every 1 hour. it takes 12 minutes to rsync. i also do nightly LDAP backups.
the idea is if something happens all we need to do is boot from the OWC raid drive (over Firewire or put the 2 drives in the sledges of bay 1 and 2) restore the latest LDAP and upgrade kms to the version that was on the server.
i also plan to do manual updates by booting off the OWC FW drive without network on a G5 and upgrade OS and KMS every once in a while to keep it somewhat updated and close to the xserve config in order to save us time if (hopefully not) disaster strikes.
i emailed kerio support directly to ask them about rsync and if it is OK to rsync the whole /usr/local/kerio/mailserver directory as i have read few things about not coping the mailserver.cfg file and they said it is fine.
i wish they had a built in rsync utility as i cannot imagine how long it will take restoring over 100GB of zip files.
martin
Previous Topic: Archive calendars
Next Topic: pop3 problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:13:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00627 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.