Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Maximum number of Delivery Threads
  •  
amedina

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,
in the last couple of days we've been presenting some delay problems sending and receiving mails, we've been receiving a lot of spam and the queue is growing up to 2000 messages. Today I was checking some settings at the "SMTP Server" configuration and change the option "Maximum number of delivery threads" from 32 to 50. My question is: how do you think is the recomended number of threads?
Our Kerio server is connected to a 3 MB/s dedicated internet connection and is running on a virtual machine (VMware ESX3i) with 8G ram and 2 quad core, running Centos 5.4.

Thank and Best Regards,
amedina.
  •  
id t

Hi,

dedicated Intel XServe3,1 (late 2009), 8-core, 12GB of RAM, around 150 users over a 100MB connection, 1024 threads, never over 80% of (one) core.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Using more than 50 delivery threads is possible only in few exceptional cases (when using no anti-virus or anti-spam). Otherwise there is no big performance benefit. 1024 is extremely high value.
  •  
TorW

1024 delivery threads is a very high setting. With a bit of bad luck (or the wrong kind of worm loose on the LAN), you run the risk of opening 1024 simultaneous deliveries to the same server. If the receiver doesn't have any kind of throttling, it will probably crash or exhaust most of its TCP/IP sockets. It is effectively a denial-of-service attack. At the very least, 1024 simultaneous connections will probably congest you WAN link and make the server hard to reach.

In any case, Windows 2003 can by default have 3977 outbound connections open at the same time. That's not a lot left when you consider webmail, KOC/KOFF, IMAP, DNS lookups and whatnot.

Just my 2 cents ...

Previous Topic: offline connector and windows 7 compatibility
Next Topic: Kerio Connect 7.0 released
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:34:47 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00393 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.