Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 7 and CA r8.1
  •  
markyd

Send a private message to this user
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, we have been using CA Anti Virus r8.1 for the alst 3 years or so. I have just upgraded our mail server to conenct 7 and it now has no CA av plugin??? We have just extended our CA license also for another 3 years so im wondering why this plugin has been discontinued?

What are the alternatives for av email scanning. I looked at Dr.Web but im not too familiar with it. Any alternative suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
  •  
hbianchi

I have clamav 0.95.3-1 (last version) and when I tested upgrade to Kerio COnnect 7, it continued working without problems. Clamav is a free AV. My installation is linux, buy I think there is a Windows Version of clamav.
  •  
markyd

I have looked at all the possibilities for scanning our incoming and outgoing emails. Clam AV is not currently supported on the windows platform and all the rest require us to purchase a license. I feel we the customers should have been asked if or not we use this feature before it was removed! We have just renewed our subscription to both Kerio and CA Anti-Virus and are now left in a very unfortunate position. With seven mail servers and no virus scanning is not ideal. Maybe some warning that the developers were going to discontinue support for this AV plug-in would have been good so we could address it before we renewed our 3 year license!
  •  
hbianchi

I you consider to change platform, we are using KMS (today we already migrated to new Kerio Connect 7) over linux, USING cLAMAV, without any problem at all and without any cost on Operating system (Windows server) nor antivirus. This is to take into consideration when you have to plan for upgrading / updating infrastructure.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

ClamAV is working on Windows, just look for the right Windows port with clamd daemon.

CA Anti-virus is no longer supported (it was announced in newsletter issued with Kerio MailServer 6.7.0 release). CA is unfortunately not interested in this business Sad
  •  
markyd

Thanks for your reply.

We have been using CA Antivirus on all our servers version 6.7.3 patch 1. It was only when upgrading to version 7 it has been removed. I do not receive the newsletters from Kerio. The removal of this plugin was not listed in the release history.
  •  
pcunix

I do not receive the newsletters from Kerio

I think it would be a great idea if Kerio had an automatic "News from kerio" account that could be forwarded as desired, would not consume a license, AND automatically appreared in the Admin panel.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

And how would we know where to send those emails ?

Feel free to subscribe to our customer newsletter at http://www.kerio.com/company/newsletters

You can also subscribe to the Kerio MailServer Annoucements section of this forum.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
pcunix

And how would we know where to send those emails ?

You know the primary domain of every server because the licensing knows that(and the server knows any other domains). If you had a reserved email account ("importantkerionews" or whatever, that's where you'd send them. The admin could read or forward that account if they wished, or just view them within the admin (standalone or web).

Tony Lawrence
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

pcunix wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 17:59
You know the primary domain of every server because the licensing knows that(and the server knows any other domains).

That's not true. The license is not assigned to any specific domain.

Also it's a legal issue - we can't send unsolicited emails to anyone without their consent.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
pcunix

Well, you COULD have important info (or at least a link to them) appear in the admin control.

I'm not convinced that sending to a built in email address is sending unsolicited mail but lawyers are sometimes nonsensical.

Tony Lawrence
  •  
TorW

pcunix wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 17:59
If you had a reserved email account ("importantkerionews" or whatever

Every domain with an MX record is by convention supposed to have a default address that always accepts mail: postmaster. An alias to or an extra address on an existing account won't spend a license to achieve this.

Then you sign up the postmaster in the default domain to the newsletter and you're all set. Automation isn't always the best way to handle stuff ...
  •  
markyd

Well i've sorted it now to use a ported version of clamav 0.95.3. It seems to be working okay I think, but it's just something else I need to keep a check on! I take it that CA have to pay Kerio to use their plugin in the mailserver software or is it the other way round?? I thought CA were a huge company so having no support in Kerio seems a bit odd. CA has been a supported plugin since we started using Kerio on version 6.1.2.

An inbuilt web page especially within the new web admin part of connect 7 to display important news and updates like for instance them two office updates that caused such a problem with KOFF would in my opinion be an excellent idea.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Well that explains why the plugin was working for you in 6.7.x. Athought the plugin has been discontinued, it wasn't installed in new installations. Upgraded installations had the plugin until Connect 7. I have information from our sales team that they contacted all known customers we know about with CA plugin. If this did not happen in your case, the I would like to apologize for that.

I don't know details about negotiation with CA. AFAIK they didn't have interest at all to work with us.
markyd

Thats a shame CA are missing out bigtime and if i had been told it wouldnt be supported by Kerio then we have probably looked at another product for AV, in my opinion Kerio mailserver is a very good product at a very good price with the same features plus more than Microsoft Exchange. I would of said that Kerio mailserver would definately be in the top 10 of groupware email servers.
Previous Topic: Kerio, GAL, and Android
Next Topic: Problems with shared recycle bin
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:26:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00554 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.