Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook silently fails to send messages after user updates KOFF
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Just wanted to share an issue we just uncovered. Some users found that most messages they sent through Outlook / KOFF are not delivered, and no error is reported anywhere. (An error is logged in the debug log file though.) The item appears in their Sent Items folder, but the mail server never receives the message. Part of the challenge as well was that some random messages did go through.

To correct the problem I logged on as an administrator and installed the 7.0 KOFF from the Webmail /integration page.

After that, the user has to resend any messages sent since the server upgrade.

If anyone else has experienced this problem please share how you isolated the problem systems and resolved it.

Thanks,

djz
  •  
renefn

I have exactly the same problem! I'm having 70-80 users unable to use Outlook because it's very inconsistent which mails that get through. After the upgrade to Connect 7 all (or most) of my users couldn't send mails with Outlook 2003 and KOFF.

I have tried to reset the cache which kind of helped but not completely. I have also tried to create a new Outlook profile but that didn't help completely either. It works for some users and for some mails, but I haven't found a bulletproof sollution. I will try to reinstall KOFF though!

This is a complete nightmare! Our company is very realiant on mail working and we have lost many man hours today and I have spent the whole day trying to solve this. Kerio support is working on it, but are unsure if they will be able to have a look at it today!!! I would think that they were prepared for more calls just after a major upgrade...

I will of course post here when (and if) a sollution is found...

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

The random nature of this is really screwing with my head. I thought my system didn't experience the problem, but I just found out that someone I sent a message to yesterday didn't receive it, and sure enough the mail log shows it never arrived.

The only way I know of to confirm if it is a problem or not is to examine the debug.log file in the %localappdata%\Kerio\Outlook Connector folder and look for these type of messages...

[12/02/2010 08:34:34.192](5400){err}{scp-worker} In .\Worker_message.cpp:159 (SyncRequestMessage::processSyncMessage)
[#252] (570B) Exception of class HResultException: .\Worker_message.cpp(1289), SyncRequestMessage::checkUploadMessageResults:
0x80004004 E_ABORT: Unacceptable server response!
Failed in message "Test" (e5665522-f52b-43e2-982a-0fe6fe2aea23)

And, so far the best way to fix the problem is to install the 7.0 KOFF client using an administrator account or deployment system (such as GPO, KBox, SCE, etc.)

I've checked a sample of Outlook users here and so far they all have experienced the problem. I'm going to assume that the self-update consistently fails for this version. (I'm planning to deploy the KOFF client using KBox to get Outlook working properly again.)

djz
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

Note: If anyone else wants to install it silently you can find the EXE command line arguments by running it with the /? switch.

djz
  •  
renefn

It's exactly the random thing that is weird and that has caused a lot of trouble here. Our sales people don't know which mails to their customers has gone through and have spend a lot of time calling their customers to verify that they have recieved the mail. Not good!

Your correct that the mail log never displays the messages that fails. It seems like they never leave Outlook/KOFF and are just moved to Sent Items.

I have tried to reinstall KOFF on some computers with LANrev (now Absolute Manage) but it's not a complete success. It seemed to work on a couple of machines, but even after reinstallation there are still users who can't send mails...

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 15:33]

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
renefn

LehmansSysAdmin wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 15:29
Note: If anyone else wants to install it silently you can find the EXE command line arguments by running it with the /? switch.

I'm using the MSI version and that has always worked for me, but that has always been clean installations and not on top of existing installs.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
rleidt

Same here. Clearing the cache and re-installing seemed to fix it, but all the same people are calling me again today. I'm using the KOC till a fix is released. I'd try the MSI, but where the reinstallation failed, I can't take the chance. This is a serious issue.

Oh, and now I'm hearing that peoples emails are taking up to 4 hours to show up. I'm 100% convinced this is an offline cache syncing issue.
  •  
renefn

Let's hope that Kerio Support is working overtime on this and NOT closing for the weekend. This is very serious!

I'm too convinced that it's a KOFF problem since our users on Entourage and Thunderbird doesn't have this problem, and webmail works just fine as well.

If I didn't have to create new Outlook profiles then I would also just switch to KOC, but that would be a lot of work for hopefully just a few hours (and not days!). Our working day is thankfully nearing the end but I hope that a solution is ready before monday...

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Our development team would like to see more details about the issue and asking for debug.log file located in the local Outlook profile directory (Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Kerio\Outlook Connector). Please attach the log to the support ticket.
If you already have a ticket ID, you can use new feature "Upload the Report" in the Repair tab of Kerio Outlook Connector account settings. It will upload the debug log file directly to the developers.
Thank you.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 16:16]

•  
renefn

I talked to Vicky earlier and sent her a debug.log. I wasn't aware that it was now built into KOFF, which is a nice feature. I have now uploaded a couple of debug.logs so hopefully that will help you.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

I also can confirm that re-installing the KOFF client doesn't necessarily fix the problem. The one system that I re-installed it on yesterday still has random issues.

I'm going to try the "clear the cache" suggestion next.

djz
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

Clearing the cache does seem to help, even without re-installing the software.

I have submitted my own support ticket to Kerio as well. I imagine they are over-whelmed with support requests right now, so I'm not waiting for them to respond.
  •  
renefn

Clearing the cache was the first thing I tried since it was easier than creating new profiles. At first it seemed to work but the users since had problems again. It's this random working/not working that's the most dangerous thing about this bug. We risk loosing mail because the users think that their mails have been sent but they're not...

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
LehmansSysAdmin

@renefn: About how long after clearing the cache did it stop working again?

Thanks,

djz
renefn

Minutes, not hours. It all started this morning because I updated the server last night. I thought I fixed it by clearing the cache but not long after the users complained again.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
Previous Topic: Updating to Kerio Connect 7
Next Topic: Renaming 'index.fld' files in mailboxes
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 14:30:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00521 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.