Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mac Address Book snail (Address Book snail like since Kerio Connect sync)
  •  
macjimbo

Send a private message to this user
Hi

I upgrade from KMS to Kerio Connect, in the hope that I would finally be able to sync my contacts reliably between my Address Book and the server.

The install was painless and the Address Book setup Wizard was very excellent - it setup 2 vCard accounts in Address Book (mine, and the public contacts).

Only problem is now my Address Book is a snail. If I type to do a search, the beachball spins for 30 seconds+, every time. And the progress wheel spins beside each of the server accounts almost all the time.

I don't really know if this is a Kerio problem or an Address Book problem, maybe someone can assist?

Thanks...

James
  •  
marook

I have 3 CardDAV accounts setup and don't see this issue (2 is same Kerio server, 1 is OS X CardDAV server)

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
macjimbo

This seems to be something to do with the syncing process I think. The wheel is spinning continuously beside the name of the CardDAV account in Address Book, and when I log into the web interface, the contact list is building only very slowly indeed - about 1-2 contacts per minute. I know my ADSL connection isn't great, but that's ridiculous!

Even once I let everything finish syncing, AB is still much slower than normal - as though it is constantly talking to the server to find stuff instead of using the locally cached contact data.

And when it is syncing, Activity Monitor reports that AB is using >100% CPU.

Anyone else got any experiences on this?

TIA
  •  
udop

same here in an local enviroment (gigabit ethernet connected).
Update to v.7 works smoothly but Adressbook is unbelievable slow CPU >100%.
CPU on the Server is <20%. Adding Contacts fro Adressbook lasts about 22 Hours (2 Contacts per Minute). Adressbook is unusable. Switched to ksc 7 but this doesn´t work also anymore Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

We use > 3.700 Contacts

Now we hav to use the webfrontend.

Clients iMAC i7 with 10.6.2, all Intel based
Server G5 5GB RAM OS X Server 10.5.8

Udo

[Updated on: Mon, 15 February 2010 11:36]

•  
macjimbo

have tried completely starting again from scratch - emptying contacts on web interface, deleting account in AB, creating account using Kerio Tool again, dragging all contacts from 'On My Mac' into CardDAV account. Took forever to sync 1700 contacts (overnight). It's finished sync AFAIK but AB still as slow as molasses and every time I click anything I get the spinny wheel. I emailed Kerio, they just told me to read the manual, which I was pretty disappointed with as their support is usually very good.
  •  
marook

I just tried this on a local install on my own MBP, and it takes about 2-3 hours to 'sync' over 1800 contacts! And that is on the LOCAL machine.. auch!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
jefflessard

Same here! AB uses 100% CPU and there is always the spining wheel. Not even mentioning the slowliness...

Going back to using Kerio sync connector...
  •  
nalmar

this is another "me too" to follow this thread

Slow initial copy on vcards, slow afterward, 100% usage
  •  
macjimbo

ok so there is a patch (just spotted this by accident when logged into admin) - specifically addresses this issue according to notes.

So far, it seems to be a lot better - I can actually do a search now. Clicking on CardDAV account name still gives spinning wheel for a bit, but overall I think it is usable.

So - full marks to Kerio for very quick attention to problem and producing fix. Thanks.
  •  
macjimbo

I spoke too soon Sad

There is certainly an improvement, in that AB seems to be talking to the server less than it was before, and when it's not talking to the server you can get sensible answers from AB. However it still seems to want to talk to the server too much and when it is doing this, it becomes very unresponsive again (30 seconds to record a keyclick). For example, every time I bring AB to the foreground I get the whirring 'activity' indicator next to the account name and during that time AB is useless. Also, even with AB in the foreground and working ok, there are certain things which will make it start talking to the server again - for example clicking on a different group name.

I have the support team helping me with this and I've sent them the logs.

In the mean time I suggest that anyone experiencing this downloads the patch - because it does make an improvement - and send a ticket through to the support team so they know that others are affected.

Cheers

James
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I recommend also contacting Apple support. Address Book is not our product and we cannot change its behavior or functions.
  •  
macjimbo

Hi Kerio.

If Kerio Connect does not work properly with Address Book (even if it is caused by a problem within Address Book) then it is not acceptable to sell KC as though it does work and then blame Apple.

I've just done my third upgrade with Kerio and I've never yet managed to sync contacts successfully - even though this was one of the main reasons for purchasing the product in the first place. I've had numerous conversations with your support dept on this very subject. The *only* reason I upgraded to the latest version was because of the CardDAV support. No other reason at all.

I accept that the problem might well be with Address Book but if that's the case then Kerio have a better chance of getting Apple to fix the problem than I do. I also did not find this problem using Apple's Address Book Server with Address Book and so it clearly is possible to sync to a CardDAV server without these issues.

In the mean time I will carry on discussing the matter with your very helpful UK support representative and will continue to assist by doing detailed troubleshooting and sending log files in the hope of getting the problem fixed for everyone who's experiencing it.

Have a good weekend.

James.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 February 2010 14:00]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I don't know how you define "does work" term. If you expect syncing of thousands of contacts in a fraction of second then we (or anyone else) can satisfy your requirement only if the client is capable of this.
We have few reports that Address Book has problems to sync thousands of contacts with any server, not only CardDAV-based (you can verify it by yourself when AB is using 100% CPU).

I think it isn't fair to attack Kerio with no real facts and with assumptions based on subjective opinion.
  •  
macjimbo

woh! I'm not attacking Kerio - please read my posts. Kerio is great, and the support is largely great too. On this issue the support has also been responsive, in fact there was a patch released just a day or 2 ago to address at least part of this problem. This is also great support.

I have 1,700 contacts - not really very many. I do not expect them to be synced in a fraction of a second, but I think 16 hours is slow. However this is all about what happens once the initial sync has been done. It seems that for whatever reason, AB wants to talk to the server very frequently, and when it does, AB grinds to a halt. This did not happen with Address Book Server (but which is a version 1 product and hardly gives any functionality at all, and I wish to use Kerio not ABS) so I don't think AB has an inherent flaw but it is clear that there's some interaction between AB and KC which causes AB to freeze up, frequently. I am very willing to give your support team whatever help & information is needed to help them to make it work.

We do know that there are 4 other people on this thread with the same issue.

Please don't be defensive, you have a great product but it is not perfect yet.

Thanks

James
OneClick

Same problem here
1750 contacts and the liltle wheel just keeps on spinning forever
even on localhost

[Updated on: Sat, 27 February 2010 15:51]

Previous Topic: iCal in 10.6 -"The server did not recognize your user name or password for account"
Next Topic: Cannot Receive Mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 00:31:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00602 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.