Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Feature Request: LDAP write support
  •  
mj

Send a private message to this user
I was hoping that Kerio's LDAP server would finally support editing/adding contacts with Kerio Connect 7, but was once again disappointed.

The problem is that almost all Kerio Connect features can be used with clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Ximian Evolution, except for one very crucial and central feature: the address book:
- E-Mails via IMAP
- Calenders via CalDAV
- Public Folders via CalDAV/WebDAV
- Public Contacts via LDAP
- Personal contacts - no go

It's a shame that we're forced to force our users to use the Kerio Webmail Interface to access their emails. Otherwise their local Thunderbird/Evolution address book would be different from the one on their Smartphone or the Webmail address book (in case they need to access their mails from some remote place), which is clearly unacceptable. I can read a user's contacts via LDAP but there is currently no way to modify existing contacts or add new ones via LDAP. Since several of our users are very discontent with the Webmail's lack of usability this issue needs to be addressed ASAP. Those users are not just simple users but lower and upper management, and they're certainly not going to purchase 70 Microsoft Office licenses in a homogenous Linux environment. Thus, I'm afraid that Kerio is the weakest link in this particular chain.
  •  
marook

Kerio Connect has moved to CardDAV, so I would push Mozilla to jump the Open community and support CardDAV - as that is A LOT easier to configure and support than any LDAP interface!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
mj

Good luck trying to push Mozilla to get anything done. It might work with Firefox but not with Thunderbird due to a lack of developers (or so I was told). Also, LDAP is industry standard especially for managing a company's contacts, both internal and external. It's a shame that Kerio supports reading its address book via LDAP but not modifying existing entries or adding new ones.
  •  
marook

He, ok.. bad luck!

LDAP is really not an easy toy to play with, and if you need to add details, you need to extend the LDAP tree in the config file.. not a great way.
CardDAV is vCards via WebDAV, like CalDAV, so it's Much easier to extend from a user point of view.

Yes, CardDAV is a new thing (at least inplemented) as it seems only Apple & Kerio have CardDAV servers implemented, but it's coming fast - I think - just like when the floppy vanised.. Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
jcwelch

mj wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 13:55
I was hoping that Kerio's LDAP server would finally support editing/adding contacts with Kerio Connect 7, but was once again disappointed.

The problem is that almost all Kerio Connect features can be used with clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Ximian Evolution, except for one very crucial and central feature: the address book:
- E-Mails via IMAP
- Calenders via CalDAV
- Public Folders via CalDAV/WebDAV
- Public Contacts via LDAP
- Personal contacts - no go

It's a shame that we're forced to force our users to use the Kerio Webmail Interface to access their emails. Otherwise their local Thunderbird/Evolution address book would be different from the one on their Smartphone or the Webmail address book (in case they need to access their mails from some remote place), which is clearly unacceptable. I can read a user's contacts via LDAP but there is currently no way to modify existing contacts or add new ones via LDAP. Since several of our users are very discontent with the Webmail's lack of usability this issue needs to be addressed ASAP. Those users are not just simple users but lower and upper management, and they're certainly not going to purchase 70 Microsoft Office licenses in a homogenous Linux environment. Thus, I'm afraid that Kerio is the weakest link in this particular chain.

if you use public contact folders, you can get to those via any number of methods. the problem isn't Kerio as much as the limited number of clients that support LDAP writing, so you probably have to use the Web UI to create contacts, but reading them is cake, just use the right search base. I do it on my installation all the time.
Previous Topic: Problems with AD integration
Next Topic: Populating GAL with other info than accounts?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 23:19:12 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.