Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Domain based quota limit (Feature request)
  •  
arska

Send a private message to this user
Hi!

Is there a possibility to limit quota of users of certain domain by administrator.

I mean, that the "master admin" could limit max quota for a domain (for example max 5GB/user) and "domain admin" could not override that.

This feature could be usable in service provider environment, where customers pay based on disk space /user.
  •  
TorW

For what it's worth: a mail domain admin can't change the quota on users mapped from a directory service.
  •  
arska

TorW wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 02:49
For what it's worth: a mail domain admin can't change the quota on users mapped from a directory service.

What do you exactly mean???

•  
TorW

A user with domain admin rights cannot change the quotas on users mapped from Active Directory (and maybe Open Directory; haven't tested). At least that's the case in 6.7.2. You still can't set the default quota for a domain, bu at least the domain admin can't change it afterwards.
  •  
GlennK

I would like to keep the domain admin from changing quota at all for anyone. The fact that they can change quotas keeps me from allowing the admin feature at all. Using open directory or active directory is not a reasonable solution for us.
  •  
TorW

Well, it wasn't meant as a suggested solution on my part, just a tip. One of our customers use a designated domain admin to update public contact lists etc. The fact that an increased disk quota leads to a bigger invoice keeps the donain admin in check - unless someone really needs a bigger quota. Since we effectively sell disk space by the gigabyte, it's not up to us to decide what quotas people need. It's self service, sort of, within reason. Also, it's expensive for us to administer quotas when disk space costs so little.

And yes, we get a quota report every morning to stay on top of the "90-percenters" and the subsequent KOFF sync conflicts when (not if ...) they hit the ceiling.

Just my two cents ...
  •  
GlennK

Sounds like its working for you. Its just a bit too loose and requires too much checking for us. I can't be comparing quotas every day to what they are supposed to have. We have the same situation where they pay for more storage, and that is the way of anyone that sells mail service. Its just this part of the control that I can't give to the client. I wish Kerio would allow us to lock down the quota. The rest is fine for a client to admin.
  •  
TorW

Yes, I agree. While users should have enough quota, there's always the chance that the "it can't hurt" mindset sneaks in and the mail server fills up during the night. Quotas on common resources shouldn't really be left to the users.
  •  
maxreefer

TorW wrote on Sat, 06 March 2010 14:57
Yes, I agree. While users should have enough quota, there's always the chance that the "it can't hurt" mindset sneaks in and the mail server fills up during the night. Quotas on common resources shouldn't really be left to the users.

I agree and quote everything as IMHO it's just a nonsense that a subuser as a domain admin can freely change a fundamental value as "quota limit"
The same way he can't add a user if Kerio admin doesn't allow him it should be for quota as well.
Actually I can't give to my customers the domain admin access only because this situation. So for me "dmain admin" is a totally useless feature
I've already set a feature request on 14 May 2008 and they answer me:
This feature has been requested by a few customers and has been put into a suggestion ticket. Your name has already been added to the list of interested people and you will be contacted if/when this feature becomes available.

kinda 2 years ago ... i'm start thinking they don't care about it too much.
I'm gonna reopen the ticket in order to have more news.
  •  
GlennK

While we're at it, I would like to restrict the ability to create mailing lists. This is a bit dangerous in the wrong hands.
Previous Topic: Logs Context Menu "New Highlighting" how can I add more colors
Next Topic: iCal problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:37:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00503 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.