Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Disabling Delivery Status Notification (DSN) (How to disable DNS success reports)
  •  
Backspin

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

One of my clients is running KMS 6.7.3 patch1. They are frequently receiving mail from people at a company which is running Novell Groupwise.

Every time an e-mail from someone at this company is received, the Kerio mailserver is sending a report back to the original sender like this:

---
This is an informative message sent by [my-clients.kerio.server].

The server has successfully delivered your mail message
---

And the mailserver shows this line, immediately after receiving the original message:
---
Service: DSN, From: <>, To: <original.sender<_at_>companys'.domain>, Size: 2098, Report: success
---

Now, as I understand, the Novell Groupwise server is probably configured to ask for this type of DSN.
See also http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw6/?page=/documentation /gw6/gw6_admin/data/ab35g12.html

But..I'm not in the positions to ask this company to change this setting.

I'm sure Kerio Mailserver is complying to the standards in sending these messages, but I would like to disable this, and can't find how or where to do this.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Rob
  •  
ccjwells

I'm running into the same issue currently with a customer we do business with. As far as I know, there is no way to disable the DSN, but if I find out what they change in the Groupwise server, I'll pass the info on.
  •  
ccjwells

I just received this reply from our customer using Novell:

"ok, I found the preferences where this was checked. weird that it happened to all of us here just out of the blue one day though. When I unchecked the box and just sent you that test email, I didn't get a response back. The preference that I unchecked was to enable a delivery confirmation if supported through internet mail."

I believe this was in their "internet mail client" (Novell's web mail client I'm assuming).
  •  
Backspin

Like I said, my problem is not in the groupwise server, because I'm not managing that.
I want to know how to disable the DSN success replies in Kerio. There must be some way, maybe in a configuration file?
  •  
marook

I haven't seen any settings for that in mailserver.cfg, but if the Other Part is Requesting the DSN, why would you want to disable it????

It's like runnign a gasstation and not letting people that come and want to pay for gas, buy it.. if you ask me!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
TorW

Some people have privacy concerns over these "read receipts" (I'm not one of them), so it's a valid question. Have you asked support about this?
  •  
marook

But there is NO privacy related information about in this message!

The Delivery Service Notification just tells the sender that the SERVER has received (and delivered) the message.
It does NOT tell anything about if the user has seen it!!!

Wink

Edit: If you think there is a privacy issue in knowing a message YOU send has been delivered, then we hit a 'catch 22'...
SENDER ask for a confirmation of delivery, and the server replies the SENDER.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2010 23:10]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
TorW

Hmmm ... looks like I was thinking about the client's "read receipt". With that in mind, I don't see what the fuss is all about and why the innocuous DSN needs to be removed. The SMTP protocol does the same thing by giving the status code 2x0 and queue-ID at the end of the transmission.
  •  
Backspin

@Torw: the fuss is about the fact that the end-user (sender) receives this conformation mail every time, which is not the case with SMTP status codes.

The thing is: my client used to have an Exchange server. This one didn't support the DNS succes messages (or was it disabled?).
I have migrated them to Kerio, and Kerio does support the DSN succes messages and happily sends them out, completely according to the standards.

However, from end-user side (my client): he just says: I didn't have this 'problem' before, and now i have Kerio, and I do have this problem.
He is not concerned about technical explanations and standards, he just wants this disabled.

•  
marook

I would spin it this way:
Client, you still don't have a problem, just a better mailserver! The Other end has a problem - they have set their server or clients to ask for this reply, and they get it!
Things work as they are supposed to! But maybe the text could be modified a bit to tell the END user that THEY asked for it (one way or another)

---
This is an informative message sent by [my-clients.kerio.server].

Since you asked for a Delivery Notification, we are happy to inform you that
the server has successfully delivered your mail message.

Have a nice day!
---

Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 23 March 2010 09:05]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: Web Admin Port
Next Topic: Is secure open webadmin to internet?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 04:47:22 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.