Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » LDAP on Iphone 3 (Non standard Port)
  •  
mbad1

Send a private message to this user
Did a search but not found many recent posts.

Simply put I have an exchange account which works fine on the iphone. I don't wish to sync contacts through that exchaneg account as I am worried it may cause issues with all their other contacts and effectively merge them which we don't want.
(i.e the warning you have local contacts that comes up when you look to put contact on activesync).

The simplest and best method I believe is as per the Kerio user manual - Add LDAP account and use that within contacts to pick what you need.

Following the manual it looks easy - Mail, contact - add new mail account - LDAP. Type in details off you go.

Now I am trying to run on the unsecured (as I read something about SSL and certificates not always working). I have changed the port from 389 to 3890 (internal reason).

It just won't connect and verify.

So I took the exact details ipaddress.com:3890 and put those in directory serives in entourage (external machine) and it works fine.

Anyone got this working - any reason it wont connect ?.
I also tried the secure LDAP option with no luck either from the iphone.
(Latest kerio server with latest iphone OS on a 3GS)

Thanks guys
  •  
mbad1

OK - Does anyone have LDAP working as an account on the iphone ??

as per manual - (or has anybody tested it Smile

LDAP client configuration
To configure LDAP account, follow these guidelines:
1. In Apple iPhone, go to Settings → Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
2. Select Add Account → Other → Add LDAP Account.
3. Enter the following account data:
Server
Enter DNS name of Kerio Connect.
User
Enter username for login to your Kerio Connect mailbox.
Password
Enter password for your mailbox.
Description
This is an optional entry. The description is helpful especially if you intend to use
multiple calendars.
Warning:
The application cannot read some types of SSL certificates, so it is recommended to connect
only via an unsecured version of the LDAP protocol.
LDAP search is available in the Contacts application. Simply click on Groups to go to contact
lists and select an item to view.
  •  
Miroslav Osladil (Kerio)

Hello,
IMHO there is no way how to specify custom LDAP port on the iPhone as it always tries connect to default port 389.

Miroslav Osladil
Senior Developer
Kerio Technologies

The views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Kerio Technologies.
  •  
mpermann

I setup my iPhone with OS 3.1.3 to connect to our Kerio 6.7.3 patch 1 server using IMAP using SSL and the standard ports and it is functioning properly for me. Maybe the custom port setting is what is causing your issues with the iPhone.
  •  
mbad1

Well I have tried it on ports 636 using SSL but as the manual above states that may not work.
Anyone used this as a standalone LDAp as per the manuals instructions I pasted above ??

Kerio is installed on a 10.6.2 server so port 389 is in use (I guess by OD LDAP) hence the change to port 3890.
Normally you can tag :3890 to the end of the DNS address.
For example I have webdav running over port 8100 so when setting up from iphone as an exchange account I put in company.com:8100 and that works so thought LDAP would be same.

If not then fair enough but can anyone confirm LDAP working on it's own ?. How do others use contacts from Kerio yet still retain their local iphone contacts with no merging etc .
I don't need to sync contact just use lDAP as seperate account for use in mail etc.

Thanks

As another aside. If port 389 wont start up in Kerio on a 10.6 server has anyone else got around this or did you just move kerio to another port since thats the easiest option ??

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2010 16:44]

•  
Miroslav Osladil (Kerio)

mbad1 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2010 16:42
Normally you can tag :3890 to the end of the DNS address.

Yes, normally you can but please note, that iPhone doesn't send any packet to the server using that port but tries to resolve it as a hostname server:port which is, probably, causing this issue.

I'm not able to say if it is the iPhone's bug or not but I recommend you to ask on some iPhone forum if it is possible at all to specify custom port in LDAP account.

Miroslav Osladil
Senior Developer
Kerio Technologies

The views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Kerio Technologies.
  •  
mpermann

I have my iPhone (OS 3.1.3) setup to sync to Kerio using Exchange ActiveSync. Then I just turn off the contact syncing (I leave on e-mail and calendar as I want both of those items) so it doesn't sync any of my iPhone contacts with the Kerio contacts. I have all my contacts from my iPhone syncing through MobileMe and most of the contacts are my personal contacts so I don't want them mixed in with my business contacts. I am still able to send e-mail to anyone on our mail server using the global address lookup. I did just for fun turn on the contact syncing to Kerio and none of my work contacts got merged with my personal contacts. I am able to look at just my Work (Exchange) contacts, my MobileMe contacts or all contacts (this shows all the contacts together on one screen but did not merge my contacts).

As I stated in a previous reply, I was able to successfully add our Kerio server using IMAP and was able to leave SSL turned on and all worked properly for me. To be fair, I didn't follow your instructions or the Kerio manuals instructions. I just simply filled in the required information after choosing Other at the Add Account screen on the iPhone. So I can not speak to the accuracy of your or Kerio's instructions.

You may also want to make sure that you have the latest version of the iPhone OS installed on your iPhone. The contact behavior was slightly different under the older iPhone OS than it is under the current version. I hope this helps.
Mike
  •  
mbad1

Thanks,

Yes directory services work fine through Entourage but not via iphone.

I think it must be the port number as pointed out above.

Now I'm going to have to find out how to disable port 389 on the OS X server and change port see if I can test it that way.

Thanks
Previous Topic: which tool to know password of user
Next Topic: Spam policy setting
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 19:13:03 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00537 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.