Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Power Cut (Emails Missing)
  •  
guysin

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

We had a power cut yesterday afternoon at around 3pm.
It was off for approx 8 - 9 hours.
A user has come in this morning and switched on his email client, there seems to be a big amount of missing emails, his last email was about 2.45pm yesterday (just before the power cut) and then the next one is 9am this morning.
(Email Server is protected with UPS, so would of switched itself off when battery level drops).

What I'll like to know is where does the emails go if the kerio mail server is off but there are still people emailing the office?
Does it go to a holding place on with the isp?

I've checked the webmail and it's the same, a gap of half a day where there's no sight of emails. (period when server was off).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Guy
  •  
phil_w

That will depend on whether you / your ISP provides a backup MX facility or not. If no such facility is in place, then senders will just get their mail bounced...
  •  
guysin

Hello Phil,

Thank you for replying so quick.
Do you mean the mx facility as in hosting? like a secondary place for the email to be delivered if the first one don't exist?
If it does get delivered to the secondary place how does the user get to it or re-download it to their email client?
Would they have to log on to the isp's web-mail service?

Thanks again for your help.
Guy
  •  
phil_w

A backup mx server basically holds the mail in a queue until Kerio announces its availability again and then spools the mail onto Kerio once ready.

Your email clients only look to Kerio and nowhere else
  •  
sonofcolin

If a mailserver is unavailable, the sending mailserver should continue to try and send the message for at least 24hrs. Only after this time will the sender receive a bounce message.
  •  
phil_w

Yes, the sending mailserver will no doubt have a policy of retrying, but I find it safer to have a backup in place to limit the possibilities. A reliable one I've used is the mailhop backup mx service from dyndns.com
  •  
TorW

Sending mail servers will normally queue mail for up to four or five days if the recipient's mail server is unavailable. They are supposed to, anyway. At the end of the four/five day period, the mail will bounce back to the sender. This happens even if the recipient's domain don't have a backup MX.

Once your mail server is up again, the queued mail should trickle in during the next few hours.

Either the senders gave up queueing long before they should (8-9 hrs is an EXTREMELY short queue time though), or the inbound queue on your mail server has a lot of mail waiting to be delivered to inboxes.

If KMS went down in an uncontrolled manner when the UPS' battery was drained, the folder indexes may have been messed up and are preventing the mails from being seen by the client. Maybe.

Edit: seems I am a slow typer Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2010 12:58]

•  
guysin

Thank you everyone for the quick response, I have contacted our isp about setting up a backup MX.
Will just have to wait and see if the missing emails eventually come through.

Thanks again everyone for your input, power cut is becoming more and more of an issue.
  •  
pcunix

You might want to wait on that secondary MX through your ISP.

If you don't control it, it can be more trouble than it is worth. Any sort of transient failure can cause a sending MTA to revert to the secondary - which means that piece of mail will NOT go to the primary. Great - do you KNOW that happened? Not unless you are constantly checking it.

And then of course you have to go get the mail transferred to where you really want it. This can all mean delay and confusion.

It's different if you sre in strict control of both servers.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
guysin

That's a good point, We probably won't do that now.
We will probably use our isp to host the emails and use Kerio as a filing system.

I think that works out better than setting up backup mx.
At least we don't have to worry about any power cuts affecting the new emails.

Thanks everyone for the help, greatly appreciated.
Guy
  •  
r1sync

One comment here, your mail will get bounced if your DNS is not up. If your domain DNS servers went offline with your mail server the sending mail server would bounce the message if it cant find the DNS server for you domain. I don't know if that was a problem you ran in to but just something to know.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2010 18:09]

R1sync Kerio Hosting

www.r1sync.com
  •  
jfitzell

Hi guysin,

I can't add much to what the others have, but just to point out that in any situation like this (whether you have a secondary MX or email was just delayed at the sender) the time you'll see as "received" in the mail client is when the mail arrived at your server. If you open the email you'll notice that the sent time is when it was really sent (ie some time while your power was off).

Cheers,
J

[Updated on: Thu, 25 March 2010 11:59]

Previous Topic: Very urgent!!! Entourage can not send email!
Next Topic: Send on Behalf of Another User with Kerio Connect7
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:44:47 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00535 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.