Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Windows to Linux migration? (Need help on migrating Kerio Connect from a Windows to a Linux server)
  •  
Tomislav

Send a private message to this user
We want to migrate Kerio Connect from a Windows box to a Linux powered box.
What is the fastest way to achieve this?

We wanted to take the Windows Server out of production, create full backup, then restore that backup to Kerio Connect on a Linux server. But the problem is that full backup lasts 5h... and probably the restore will too, so that's around 10 hours out of production (and mail downtime) and that is not acceptable Sad Is there any faster way? What about migrating configurations?

Being out of production isn't a problem, but the problem is tight window frame provided for this migration (8 hour window).

If someone could provide some hints, a how to, or something usable, we would be very grateful.

•  
ICT and Me

Why don't you make one full backup with running KC.
After that let the windows KC running. Build the linux KC test this one if conversion works well.
After take SMTP service offline ,make on the win-kc a differential backup and shutdown after backup win-kc.
re-route all MX traffic to the linux-kc and restore the dfferential backup.
Look if that's helping your downtime window getting smaller. Five hours downtime is even too much.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
mpermann

rsync is what many typically suggest for migrating from one server to another. We had to migrate from an Intel Apple Xserve to a Linux power box due to some performance issues. Kerio support helped us with the process and they used rsync to facilitate the process. I don't remember the exact steps but I believe they did an rsync once with the server running then after that was complete we shutdown the active server and did another rsync to sync up any files that were in use or new since the first backup and then we brought the new box online. You might check with Kerio tech support. They probably have the specific command with all the necessary switches to perform the migration in the quickest and most reliable way.
  •  
r1sync

rsync is the way to go, we copy server all the time this way.

Im a linux guy so im not sure of the windows commands.

this will copy the store on linux, you would need to change the store path to match your windows setup

rsync -avz -e ssh --delete /opt/kerio/mailserver/store/* root<_at_>YOUR-LINUX-SERVER.COM:/opt/kerio/mailserver/store/

replace the <_at_> with the @

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2010 17:57]

R1sync Kerio Hosting

www.r1sync.com
  •  
hbianchi

I agree that RSYNC is "THE SOLUTION", if you have a separate box (linux will not be the same box as windows). You must first, to completely install the linux box, the KC on this box (remember that its better that storage be a separate HD array than OS and KC software). than you must to make an RSYNC of the Storage to the new server. this will probable take a lot, several hours the first time, but you then can contiue doing periodic RSYNC operations until de daste you decide to move. At the momento you decide to move, you stop all services, smtp, http, ldap. etc., en the windows box and also in the linux box (stop those services and put them on manual to avoid any unwanted start). You make a final rsync, that will take just a few minutes. You copy the users and mailserver configuration files. You edit the ocnfiguration file if requered (I don't know if you plan to change the server name or not), and you make the linux reconfigurations as needed (I don't know if you plan to use the same IP adresses and names as windows or not), and the you start services (and put them in automatic) cas requiered. This migration takes only some minutes (I already did it with a 680 users, 100 GB storage, and it took me about 15 minutes of system unavailability)
  •  
Tomislav

Rsync worked like a charm.

It did take 8 hours to copy 90GB but after that all we had to do was copy the three config files and update the registration info.

Thanks for your help guys =]
  •  
Tomislav

I may have spoken too soon.

It seems Spam Assassin has stopped working since the migration. It's on but it's not learning and worst of all, it forgot what it already learned!

Also the built in McAfee has stopped working...
Engine avir_mcafee failed to start: License not present or expired

Any help would be appreciated.
  •  
pcunix

Did you follow the directions at How do I move Kerio MailServer from one machine to another (or change Operating Systems)?
http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=v iewarticle&kbarticleid=257&nav=0,1

Specifically Delete the contents of the folder "/Store/SpamAssassin/Bayes."

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
Tomislav

@pcunix - deleting the contents of the folder "/Store/SpamAssassin/Bayes" fixed my SpamAssassin problem. It has to relearn everything but it works now. Thanks =]

Now if I could only get McAfee to work again... We are getting our subscription renewed next week, so I'll have to wait and see if the new license might fix it.
Previous Topic: Raid Configuration vs. Performance User Experience
Next Topic: Allways BCC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:47:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00468 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.