Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance problems after update to Kerio Connect 7.0
  •  
amedina

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
last week we update our Kerio MailServer 6.2 to Kerio Connect, but since that day (mid last week) several users are reporting problems with Outlook, mostly when they try to change from one email forder to another, or even changing between messages.
What can we do to fix this? I have read that Kerio Connect introduce improvement in the fld's files in the server, could be possible the server in updating this files in the server while on the fly?

Have anyone of you this problem?

Thank you and best regards,
Amedina
  •  
heze54

Hi,

What´s about kofbackend.exe service? eats the computer?
  •  
ccbs

Can anybody from Kerio confirm whether there is an acknowledged performance problem with the Kerio Offline Connector (KOffBackend.exe)?

The performance on our machine's here is terrible and after visiting a site merrily running 6.7.3 it really highlighted to me how slow Kerio Connect is in comparison. The memory and cpu usage of KOffBackend.exe at times are insane and I have seen Private Bytes usage well over 800MB.

Kerio don't really seem to encourage the use of Kerio Online Connector but I'm just wondering whether we need to switch to this for our non laptop users.

Regards

Neil
  •  
mbmaplethorpe

I'd definitely like to know user's experiences of how the offline connector in 7.0.1 compares with 6.7.3 - we've had a lot of users struggle with the performance and memory of the connector on 6.7.3 and whilst we've got it to a manageable level I don't want to upgrade to Connect if the performance will drop further.

The majority of our users Windows XP with Outlook 2007 (fully patched) but we are rolling out more Windows 7 (64-bit) clients.
  •  
heze54

We run xp fully patched and outlook 2007 fully patched and KOffBackend.exe 200MB to 400MB
  •  
amedina

Hi all,
I'm still having performance problems after upgrade to Kerio Connect. Users keep calling saying their Outlook take a several seconds to respond every time they try to open, forward or reply a message or change between folders. This is not only with users with a lot of emails but users with about 160 MB of storage usage.
In the server side, I see that the mailserver process is frecuently reaching more of 100% CPU usage, and sometimes even 200% (as you can see in the pic attached). The server is running in VMWare ESX 3i virtual machine with 2 Quad Core, the virtual machine is configured to use 4 procesor and 8G RAM.

I dont't know if this is a server side problem or a client side (Kerio Conector) problem. How can I know where maybe the problem or what is doing the mailserver process to reach this high CPU usage.

Thank you and Best regards,
Amedina

• Attachment: top.png
    (Size: 28.00KB, Downloaded 604 times)
  •  
vomsupport

By chance do you have I-Tunes installed? We recently noticed that with it installed Outlook/KOFF runs about 30% slower. I am starting to wonder about whether or not it catalogs files in the background. Can anyone else confirm this?
  •  
msmail

amedina: do you have a lot of Mac users utilizing ical/ab?
  •  
Jabba

I have the same problem. afeter Connect upgrade all of my customers report performance problems on KOFF under XP 32 and 7 64Bit. Any news about this ?
  •  
amedina

mirco: Nop, we just have one Mac user and is using Apple Mail using IMAP, it's not configured to use Ical with Kerio.

vomsuppoer: our users don't have Itunes installed.

Thanks for your replys.
Regards

Amedina
  •  
hbianchi

this is a reply to "amedina". In the "top" image you sent it shows that you have a problem qith Input Output performance, probable due to Raid performance or HD performance themselves. You can see an extremely high media load (at the first line) wich should not be above 2 or 3 in "high traffic" periods; you have 34. I had similar problems until I replaced the SATA 7.2 K with SAS 15 k herd disks (I hve 680 users with about 300 GB storage).
  •  
amedina

Thanks for your reply hbianchi,
I've been searching info about "load average" and it seem main is really high. Today the server have been really slow (users don't stop calling) and as you can see in files attached the "load average" in the server is high. I'm attaching to the output of "iostat". What I find strange is we don't see this low performance before ugrade to Kerio Connect.
So you think changing my disk system to, for example, a RAID 10 15K disk, can help us to resolve this?

Thanks and best regards,
Amedina

• Attachment: top.png
    (Size: 32.54KB, Downloaded 572 times)
  • Attachment: iostat.png
    (Size: 32.06KB, Downloaded 535 times)
  •  
achtungadmin

same "high top" issue here since Update to Kerio-Connect (7.0.1). We reproduced it on different machines (Suse, Lenny, VM-Appliance), also on different hardware...
  •  
elias

amedina wrote on Mon, 26 April 2010 07:45

So you think changing my disk system to, for example, a RAID 10 15K disk, can help us to resolve this?

I'm not well versed in reading iostat statistics, but if the value shown for "queue" is disk queue length, then its clear that your disks are completely overwhelmed.

While there's nothing wrong with virtualizing KMS, extra special attention needs to be paid to your disk infrastructure. If the disks for KMS are being shared with other VMs, that's also likely killing your performance. Moving to 15k drives on RAID 10 will help, but you'll need a bunch of disks to overcome that load, and you really need to dedicate separate disks for just the KMS store.

I don't know how many users you have, but I have 50 very heavy email users all running Outlook w/KOFF. My server has 6 15k SAS drives in a RAID 10 array dedicated to just Kerio's store and that gives me pretty decent performance. We haven't noticed any performance degradation since upgrading to Connect 7.

-Elias
jlagnese

The question is, was this a problem before v 7? We run Kerio on RHEL 5.5 with 15K rpm drives and didn't have performance issues until upgrading to v7. Nothing changed other than the version of kerio. Our store is 508gb out of a possible 1.080 TB. We are working with their tech support, but it is slow going doing core dumps and sending them to their people in the Czech republic. One thing I can add is that there are activesync errors in the error log when the slow downs occur. We've also had a lot of spam, but who hasn't.
Previous Topic: KMS don't work with ClamAV-SOSDG 0.95.1a
Next Topic: Synchronizator::syncHierarchy: Synchronizator is not in online mode
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:52:02 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00567 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.