Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blocking external email sent to group (Stopping spammers from targeting a group email address)
  •  
srobson

Send a private message to this user
Like many organizations, I've set up different groups to better define my sets of users on my Kerio Connect server. I typically put all the full-time and regular part-time employees in a group called staff. Staff members can then send an email to staff<_at_>myclientdomain.com and easily send an email to everyone on staff.

The problem is, spammers are more and more frequently targeting "staff" email addresses, so if a spammer sends a message to staff<_at_>myclientdomain.com, then all my clients' users in the staff group get the spam delivered to them.

To counteract this, I want to set up group email addresses such as staff<_at_>myclientdomain.com to reject any email from senders who are not members of the group. Is there any way to do this within the confines of groups in Kerio Connect, or should I be looking at moving this functionality over to a mailing list?

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2010 22:55]

•  
GlennK

Why not make the group have a more unique name? Instead of "staff" put the company name or initials in there like mcd-staff<_at_>myclientdomain.com or think of something else. This is similar to avoiding the "info" address. There are many more creative ways to name a general email box.
  •  
TorW

If the mails to the staff are internal only (i.e. no outsiders are allowed to send mail to it), make a custom rule rejecting everything sent to the staff group. Trusted senders won't trigger custom rules, so just make sure all your clients are in the trusted sender group.
  •  
srobson

TorW, that's an excellent idea. Unfortunately the only reference in the Kerio documentation I can find to a "trusted sender" list or group is in KOC, and we don't use that at our company.

I'd rather not change the staff group name to something less obvious, but that seems like the easiest solution.
  •  
TorW

You set trusted senders (or "local clients") in the admin console, in "Security Options" under "SMTP server".

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2010 00:10]

•  
marook

TorW: There is just no Global rules, and not Group rules!

There is more than one Feature Request pending with Kerio for
1: Global rules (other than those targeted for Spam checking)

2: The ability to make Groups 'internal', so they can't be reached from the outside.
The sad thing is that Kerio does not seem to get enough pressure for this request, so it's still 'up in the air' and to me seems very low in the priority queue.. Sad

It's strange to me that you can tell every group that it's MEMBERS is not allowed to send out mail, but delivery TO the Group can not be limited!

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2010 23:52]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
TorW

marook wrote on Sun, 25 April 2010 23:51
TorW: There is just no Global rules, and not Group rules!

Not sure what you mean here, but since srobson wants to limit usage of staff<_at_>example.com only to its members, a mailing list would probably be a better way. We have mostly dropped using global distribution lists and groups because of the same issues he has.

Distribution lists can't have a common email address (in 6.7.x at least), and groups can't be controlled enough. Mailing lists are the closest you'll get to Exchange's "Mail-Enabled Distribution lists".
Previous Topic: Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange?
Next Topic: Slow performance
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 04:50:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00583 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.