Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2011 for Mac
  •  
bigmountain

Send a private message to this user
Has anyone attempted to connect the beta version of Outlook 2011 to Kerio Connect 7.0.1? I had a client just ask me about it. Apparently, he has a beta copy and tried to setup his account as an Exchange account and it would not connect. Does anyone know if this app will support Kerio natively like Entourage does? Thanks!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
Lyle M

Hey Pavel,
It might be time to sticky this one. They're just going to keep coming. I suggest referencing EWS with all of its various names (Outlook 2011, Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition, etc), so nobody can miss it in a search.

Bigmountain, IMAP mail should work fine. Groupware integration - eventually [ that should save you from reading the entire linked thread! Smile ].

Regards
  •  
My IT Indy

I wonder if 2011 will support anything BUT EWS. Interesting problem we could have here. Isn't that new version due out later this year?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Lyle M

This amusing forum discussion leads me to believe that Outlook 2011 supports IMAP...

http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/MacOtherProduct s/464

You'd think the MS guy would have had the thread deleted instead of posting in it.

Anyway, it makes sense for Outlook 2011 to support the E-mail standards (IMAP & POP) in addition to EWS. It's a replacement to Entourage bundled with a mainstream commercial product. It's value would be diminished if it could only connect to EWS Exchange and not the typical ISP.

Recalling the last Outlook for Mac client on OS 9, it didn't have to support any of the open standards since the free Outlook Express Mac filled that role.

I believe the name change from Entourage to Outlook 2011 signifies more a marketing realignment than a transition to an Exchange-only client.

Cheers,
Lyle

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2010 04:00]

•  
jspiva

I don't think that it makes any sense for microsoft to ship office 2011 with WebDAV exchange support. I found this article confirming my theory. From the trends I am seeing EWS and ActiveSync is where they are focused.
  •  
GetSync'd

We need Outlook 2011 support for MANY hosted clients already!

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2010 06:50]

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
nbgrant

InfTek wrote on Sun, 26 September 2010 23:49
We need Outlook 2011 support for MANY hosted clients already!

Same boat here.....

I've got a handful of client with orders already placed to Microsoft and they are turning to me to verify that Outlook 2011 and their Office 2011 packages will work with Kerio right away.

This is a huge deal people. Why are we not seeing Kerio support or at least a formal announcement when the Volume licenses are already hitting servers?

I need to be testing this last week!

Common Kerio!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Outlook 2011 has dropped WebDAV protocol used for synchronization of Entourage 2004 and 2008. It is using completely new protocol for synchronization with server. We are trying to implement support for this new protocol (unfortunately with absolutely no help from Microsoft) and this is really huge and complex task. Betatesters already know what is happening.

BTW: Even IMAP client in Outlook 2011 has unbelievable bugs, which will require a workaround on server side. The Outlook IMAP client fixes will be introduced in next service release.
  •  
nbgrant

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Tue, 28 September 2010 08:40
Outlook 2011 has dropped WebDAV protocol used for synchronization of Entourage 2004 and 2008. It is using completely new protocol for synchronization with server. We are trying to implement support for this new protocol (unfortunately with absolutely no help from Microsoft) and this is really huge and complex task. Betatesters already know what is happening.

BTW: Even IMAP client in Outlook 2011 has unbelievable bugs, which will require a workaround on server side. The Outlook IMAP client fixes will be introduced in next service release.

Thank you for the details. I think this post should be stickied. This will be a major topic of discussion over the next few weeks/months.
  •  
sfpete

The issue and status are detailed very well in the Kerio blog here:

http://www.kerio.com/blog/kerio-connect-and-outlook-2011-mac

•  
PC

The date mentioned in the Kerio blog is what scares me!

I have an office full of staff counting down the days to the release of Office 2011 on October 26 and an anticipated end to their Entourage woes yet Kerio talks about putting out its first public beta a week after the 2011 release. Sure Kerio was able to blame Apple for the lag on its Snow Leopard compatible release when Apple jumped the gun but the late October release for Office 2011 has been known for almost a year. Also, its not like EWS is a new technology with Office 2011.

This reoccurring compatibility lag along with Kerio forcing me to buy a firewall appliance simply because the program wont do something as basic as outgoing IP binding make it hard to love these guys.
  •  
iTinyK

I sore a tweet from Krio saying there will be full native EWS support.

I wonder if OSX will natively talk to it. iCal and Address on Webdav is not epic.
  •  
scsc_tech

One week after a software release to get your hands on a beta for compatible server software? That sounds like a fantastic timeline to me. Ive hung around other companies waiting years for compatible softwares to emerge, and sometimes never getting them. I think Kerio is doing a great job in its engineering competency and release timelines.

If you want a taste of what a slow developing software is like, give Retrospect 8 for mac a try. 9 months to go from 8.1 to 8.2 and it still feels like a beta.

Keep up the good work kerio
PC

scsc_tech, I have indeed suffered through the whole Retrospect 8 saga and would have given up on it a long time ago if there were a serious alternative in the Mac environment.

Back on the subject of Kerio compatibility: the product is sold essentially as an Exchange clone. Now an Exchange clone that can work on multiple platforms and minus the Microsoft bloatware approach would be regarded by many (self included) as better than the original. It still means, however, that Kerio Connect will always be judged primarily on its compatibility with Exchange and Exchange client software.

Were this new technology that Microsoft was holding close to its chest I would have a lot of sympathy with Kerio struggling to crack a new protocol and keep up. I think the frustration expressed on this thread is from the fact that this freight train has been coming for a long time and Kerio should have appeared to have been more ready to jump on board. (Think of the sales mileage you would get from an "Outlook 2011 ready" campaign).

Now, the optimist in me says that Kerio may be just taking a cautious approach. Microsoft product is notoriously buggy in a first release and putting out your solution in Beta before the 0.1 update keeps it out of the hands of those whose expectations are too high and focuses the blame for any problems on Microsoft more than Kerio.
Previous Topic: Kerio Built-in Antivirus
Next Topic: X-Mailer: The Bat!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:56:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00591 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.