Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » error 0x8004210A Receiving reported error (The operation timed out waiting for response from receiving (POP3))
  •  
kurashige

Send a private message to this user
I am having problems like this one.

Task 'X.X.X.X - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for response from receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

NOTES:

1) I am using Kerio Webmail 6.7.2

2) This happens during 'Send/Receive' especially if the server is sending around 2MB of mail together with other mails. At the end of the 'Send/Receive' process, an error of this kind will appear.

3) We only experience this on our remote locations who connects to our mail server through internet. We do not experience this kind of error in our internal LAN.

4) We tried to connect the laptop through a cable but still, same problem occurs. Because at first, we thought it is just wireless problem. It is not always that they experience this kind of problem, but this occurs when there is a large mail that is being sent from the server to the client.

Anybody have better idea and may help me solve this problem?
  •  
Lyle M

Hey Kurashige,
Looks like you're using Outlook vs. Webmail, as Webmail wouldn't give you an error like that. If I were troubleshooting, I'd put a Mac in the field and see if there are similar errors. Assuming I found the Mac working, I'd be able to focus on the client machines vs. the server.
If your problem is specific to Outlook-running PCs, look to your Anti-virus/Firewall software. First, disable all functions of the security program and see if that fixes the timeout error. If that works, see if your software allows you to add your Kerio server to a list of trusted servers (POP and SMTP).
My guess is that some sort of security application is keeping Outlook from communicating with the Kerio server. There might even be something in your event logs about it.
Post back if you learn anything new.

Regards,
Lyle
  •  
kurashige

hi lyle while i was reading your response. I immediately called the staff into that, I am checking their firewall settings on their LAN to verify this. i will update this as soon as something comes up. thanks for the reply!
  •  
kurashige

hi lyle after verifying some tests, the problem seems to be on the firewall side of the remote locations. After tweaking a bit and allowing incoming SMTP and POP3 services into firewall, everything is running well. no more error while sending and receiving.

EDIT: because at first they only allow outgoing SMTP and POP3 services.

thanks a lot for sharing some thoughts! *two thumbs up*

[Updated on: Wed, 28 April 2010 06:51]

•  
Lyle M

Glad I could steer you in the right direction.

If your E-mail users are going to use any other Kerio Connect features, be prepared to open more ports.

The most common ones are shown here:
http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-setfire. html

If you have anyone doing admin tasks, there are other ports to open too. For instance, the new web admin for Connect uses port 4040.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
Previous Topic: Messages in Queue
Next Topic: Manually changing ACLs on resources
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 10:36:31 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.