Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating accounts from local to OD LDAP
  •  
scsc_tech

Send a private message to this user
OK so currently we are running 6.7 and all accounts are created locally in kerio. We have a separate LDAP Open Directory server with duplicate users (dont ask me, I didnt set it up)
We will be moving to Kerio Connect soon and I want to bind the new server to the OD. My question is, how do I pull in the accounts from OD, and then move all of the existing emails, folders, contacts, etc from the local accounts to the OD LDAP accounts?

thanks!

[Updated on: Thu, 29 April 2010 23:02]

•  
GetSync'd

Wow, this could be a tricky one.

First and foremost, make sure you have a good backup of your mail store when you are ready to switch over to OD.

Now, assuming that the domain and user names are going to be the same as they are in the local accounts. You should be able to delete all of the user accounts from the domain, when prompted what to do with the users folder, make sure you leave it on the server. When you setup the OD connection, and it determines that user names that are in the domain, KC7 should reconnect the users with their folders in the mail store.

If the user names are different in the OD, then leave the local user intact and when you have OD working, you can then delete the local user and have KC7 move the folder over to the new user.

Lot of areas where something can go wrong, so having the backup will be very important protection.

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
InterHmai

It's actually pretty easy.

It only works though, if the Open Directory user's shortname matches the email login name. So if your kerio mail user is jsmith, his OD account shortname from when the OD account was created must also be jsmith.

1. Connect your Domain to the LDAP (check the Kerio manual for the process).
2. Make sure your test connection is successful.

3. After that, go to the users list, and delete the user
-->> You will have 3 options, be sure to select Do not delete users message folder<<--

4. The user is deleted, but his email folder is still on the server. Create a new user, map from the directory service. Hit apply.

Now when the user connects, it'll be exactly the same as before, except authentication is done through the OD connection.

It's wise to do this while the mail service has been stopped.

Some tips:
-You can definitely do this with a few test cases, just to be safe.
-You definitely want a solid OD Master/Replica setup that is reliable and always up. In the event that Kerio is unable to connect to its directory service, no one will be able to login to get mail until it is fixed. Admin will still work, but somewhat slower.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2010 20:56]

•  
scsc_tech

Thanks for the replies!

First off I can guarantee that the short names in the OD do not always match the account names in Kerio. It is likely that I will have to try InfTek's second method of adding the OD account, then deleting the Kerio account and selecting the option to move folders to a new user.

Question:
Will this move all mailboxes or just the inbox?
Will it move calendars & todos?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2010 20:59]

•  
hbianchi

when you remove a user and select to move the messages to another user, Kerior creates a subfolder in the receiving account mailbox, with ALL the folders and subfolders of the deleted user.
  •  
scsc_tech

Ok, thats not so bad. Are calendars considered folders too?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2010 23:40]

•  
GetSync'd

Yes, all folders of the old user are copied over to the new user.

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
Previous Topic: My queue is full of messages to recipients from another country
Next Topic: Can't subscribe to IMAP folders for one account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 01:32:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00465 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.