Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Best Practice - Performance Issues IMAP Connections (What is the best way to organise email to maintain performance over WAN IMAP connections)
  •  
pmckeo21

Send a private message to this user
I have a customer on Kerio 6.7 who's users in general organise all of their email into sub folders in the inbox. One user (Mac Mail and iPhone) has started to report issues when they access via (secured) IMAP over the WAN (the server is hosted on their LAN connected via ADSL to the internet). I ran some debugging and it seemed that when I used webmail it accessed/read the sub folders excessively. I asked another user who does some work remote and they too have all their email (8 to 10 thousand) in folders within inbox but they said it was always slow!

After some sort of recommendation (or backup to my own - archive your old mail and keep the INBOX to "current" messages). The users then need to reconfigure (can an iPhone open additional top level folders - I assume Mac Mail can but i am thunderbird / blackberry!) so want some reassurance that this will fix the issues before i make them do it!

Thanks

Peter McKeown
http://www.zxsolutions.co.uk

Peter McKeown
www.zxsolutions.co.uk
  •  
pmckeo21

PS on thunderbird you need to "manage folder subscriptions" to access folders in kerio that exist at the top level - by default thunderbird only allows access to the "INBOX" folder

Peter McKeown
www.zxsolutions.co.uk
  •  
marook

Hi,

It's my understanding that it's not 'best practice' to make folders under the Inbox - but since it's allowed and people do it, I'm not sure how much impact it has.
In my imagination, having huge Inboxs makes POP & IMAP checks for 'new mail' a much bigger job, so moving mail to other folders should keep this stress off the server... or?

As for your question, the iPhone (iOS devices) has no problem using multi-level folders, no matter where they are.
You can even specify push for each folder independently.

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
pmckeo21

Thanks

I have been connected via IMAP and thunderbird over WAN to user and it spends all its time "looking for folders" and "downloading headers" so i think you are correct - lots of mail and folders in the inbox over a low bandwidth connection is not advisable (although is the default easiest thing to do for a user) - I will create him an ARCHIVE (rename current INBOX and let kerio create a new one) and see how that behaves

Kind regards

Pete

Peter McKeown
www.zxsolutions.co.uk
  •  
marook

You can also, via webmail, create a new folder not under the Inbox, and then drag&drop all his mails to that folder.

If it's a lot of mails, Right click the Inbox ans select 'Move or Copy all...' after you have created the target folder!

No archive, and very easy.

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
jamesf

I was an Exchange administrator for a number of years (started with Exchange 5.x) and when I went through training we were told for performance reasons to NEVER create sub-folders under the inbox. I have carried that through to any mail system and client that I have managed or used since then and always encourage others to not create sub-folders under the inbox.
Previous Topic: SMTP AUTH
Next Topic: Is it possible to edit the smtp banner?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 04:50:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00416 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.