Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Cache Windows Update?
  •  
Grobyc

Send a private message to this user
Is it possibile to make Winroute Firewall locally cache windows updates so that I dont have to download them all the time I setup a lot of pc's and being able to cache the updates would make life so much quicker as i only have a 128k connection and downloading 20mb a machine takes a while...
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Grobyc wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 02:20

Is it possibile to make Winroute Firewall locally cache windows updates so that I dont have to download them all the time I setup a lot of pc's and being able to cache the updates would make life so much quicker as i only have a 128k connection and downloading 20mb a machine takes a while...

I'm not quite sure if the download URLs for Windows updates are same for all clients. Since it uses HTTP for file tranfers, it is possible to cache it.

The maximum HTTP object size in HTTP cache definition should be changed according to common size of update packages.

I would mention that Microsoft provides complex framework for updates distribution in local network called SUS (Software Update Service) where the update package is downloaded only once.
  •  
Grobyc

I THink you are correct about the url, It seems to use some unique idendifier, I changed the http object size and now it seems to cache it (I can see the cache size increase as it downloads the updates) but if I do an update on another pc it does not retreive it from the cache.

I Have tried sus once before but I couldnt seem to get it to update pc's. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Why I wanted to know is I build and setup lots of new computers and in the process I get all the updates down for the customer. I know I can get each update above servicepack 1 as seperate installs but installing them seems to much like hard work, I like the lazyness of going to windowsupdate and letting it go by itself. Just caching it locally would have made that so much quicker.

unless there is another way to do it?
Previous Topic: internet from another local network
Next Topic: Windows Update
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 18:21:23 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00353 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.