Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 7.1 Beta & EWS & MAC support
  •  
mikei

Send a private message to this user
I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but we need to decide whether we are dropping kerio or not. Our company has decided to go mac only in 4th quarter which leads us to a question of whether we have to drop Kerio because Kerio is not supporting EWS. Office 2011 for the Mac only supports EWS or IMAP. Kerio has decided to remain dark on their release roadmap but at some point they need to tell us whether they are going to support exchange standards it when all the clients are moving towards a standard or not. How can Kerio support OSX Server but not support the clients? We can't use Mail.app because it supports EWS, we can't use office because it supports EWS... Entourage 2008 is buggy!! what are we supposed to do kerio???

So something from kerio please?????

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2010 13:56]

•  
mikei

•  
marook

Why do you like to use EWS????

IMAP & CalDAV is working fine!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
Yohann94

Kerio has the willing to do it :
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=15882&sta rt=0

But when is the question.
  •  
mikei

I don't understand. I have to connect Ical.app to kerio, then sync outlook 2011 to Ical.app that doesn't make sense.
  •  
JacobM

So you're going to drop Kerio for something else that supports EWS... on Mac? I mean, if you're going Mac-only, where are you going? I'm sure Kerio will support it eventually...

The previous suggestion is to use Mail, iCal, and AddressBook apps with IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV rather than using Outlook 2011. No syncing between iCal and Outlook.
  •  
stewie

Our company is about 95% mac.

Mail.app (including the version in Snow Leopard) works great with IMAP. Outlook 2011 will very likely continue to support IMAP. (I recall seeing screenshots of users connecting to their gmail IMAP account.)

Since you're not using Exchange 2007, what's all the concern over EWS? What am I missing?
  •  
mikei

We're moving to Office 2011 and without EWS we'll have to go to an exchange server. What good is groupware if you have to run 3 different applications to get it? It appears that office 2011 doesn't support caldav (I saw a demonstration from a friend who has the beta)
  •  
marook

Well, given that the next Office version is not even out yet, and it should not be before xmas, i think Kerio has some time to wotk on it.. Wink

With that said, Entourage (and Outlook) simply sucks big time, but if you really wanna lock yourself down into that App, go for it!
And why does 'groupware' have to be in the same app?
What it some users like iCal better than Entourage/Outlook, ain't it cool that you can just switch, since we use open standards?

Anyway, for the simple fact of the .pst/database files used by Entourage, noone in our company use it - it's simply a mess to support, and even bigger issues come up with backups.. write a single mail and the complete nnGB file has to be written to backup again.. I hate it! Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
JacobM

mikei wrote on Fri, 11 June 2010 02:01
We're moving to Office 2011 and without EWS we'll have to go to an exchange server. What good is groupware if you have to run 3 different applications to get it? It appears that office 2011 doesn't support caldav (I saw a demonstration from a friend who has the beta)

So, you're going to put a full AD environment with Exchange in a primarily Mac environment? Fun...

Apologies for my sarcasm, but I just don't think the trade off is worth it. Are you in that much of a hurry to upgrade to something that hasn't even been released yet? I understand that Entourage isn't that good, or Mail/iCal/AB may leave a bit to be desired, but are you 100% certain Outlook 2011 will be the end-all to your problems?

I think you're just asking for more trouble with the AD/Exchange infrastructure with a mostly Mac user-base. Personally, if Kerio has been working for the most part, I would stick with them.. EWS support should come eventually. Good luck with whichever route you choose.
  •  
stewie

Huh? So you're going to get rid of your server (Kerio) to support a new client (Outlook 2011)? That's, well, unconventional.

As for trying to justify this because you do not want to run multiple apps, that's an obvious non-issue because you're willing to use Excel for spreadsheets, Word for word processing, etc. when they could all be combined into a single Office application like OpenOffice.

So what I'm confounded by is why your company so hellbent on using Outlook 2011. There appears to be no business nor technological case to warrant this change.
  •  
mikei

It's a matter of taste. One seamless application for mail/calendar/contacts is what our users want. If we didn't have kerio we'd go hosted exchange and know that we have the compatibility.
  •  
stewie

Okay, so there's little rational justification for this disruptive change. So if your users preferred blue walls, your management team would repaint the building? Yes, that's an idiotic example but repainting will make you the same amount of money as switching to Outlook 2011--$0.00.

This is just insanity, but, hey, you want what you want. So I'll let's get this thread back on topic.

As others have mentioned, it's just a matter of time before Kerio supports EWS. After all, Kerio is an Exchange alternative & in order for it to continue to be it will have to replicate Exchange's functionality just as it always has. The upside is EWS should be easier to implement because it's just HTTP requests. So I'd imagine they're already at work on this & bet it won't be too long before it's supported. But as you say, you need to hear something more specific from Kerio. So Kerio, what say you?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Stewie is right. We're currently working on support for Outlook 2011. Well, not exactly right because HTTP does not mean easy or simple Smile. Anyway, we are doing our best to have the support ready with final release of Outlook for Mac.
stewie

Sorry, I should have said easier to implement then MAPI ; ) Anyway, glad to hear in it's progress!
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect 7.1 released
Next Topic: Anyone successfully using 7.1 beta and BES Express
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 01:27:48 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00515 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.