Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Suggestions for SSL Certs
  •  
TC10284

Send a private message to this user
I have two registered domain names/websites and I am running email servers using the domain names. Currently I only have self-signed SSL certs running on the mail server.

Do you have any suggestions for a good SSL cert "generator"?
I've never had to request SSL certificates before, so I'm completely new to the process.
What information will I need to provide?
How long is the process?
What does it usually cost?
Is it fairly simple to setup on Kerio Connect?

Thanks
  •  
generic_penguin

HI

I use a Rapid SSL cert, they are one of the cheapest ones I have found that are single root.

Single root means you don't have to install an intermediate certificate as well. Nothing wrong with doing that now days as most devices will accept intermediate certs but adds that extra step by doing a single root cert

http://www.godaddy.com are an example of a SSL that uses a intermediate cert.

I have found http://www.trustico.com.au/products/rapidssl/cheap-rapidssl- ssl-certificate.php these fellas are the cheapest, {I not affiliated in any way} and they re-sell all kinds of SSL certs

But a single 1 year SSL costs you around $25 a year

Depending on the reason for the cert you may want a more $$ version that verifies who you say you are when signing up. For me I did not need that function as I got the SSL to encrypt my data being sent and not to 100% prove I am who I say I am 'which I doubt anyone even checks anyhow'

For the Rapid SSL all you need to do is give them the full Domain name of the server and have access to the current mail server on that domain name to setup an email address like postmaster or root etc..

Other cheaper SSL may require you have access to the email in the whois record of the domain name. While the $$ SSL's need you to sign paperwork

I have read the https://www.cacert.org/ lets you get free SSL's. Never used it myself and in my browser it does not trust the SSL of the domain name you are signing in with so not a good start, but may be worth a look

If anyone would like to post what they think is a good SSL, would love to hear who and why
  •  
TC10284

generic_penguin wrote on Sun, 06 June 2010 15:31
HI

For the Rapid SSL all you need to do is give them the full Domain name of the server and have access to the current mail server on that domain name to setup an email address like postmaster or root etc..

Other cheaper SSL may require you have access to the email in the whois record of the domain name. While the $$ SSL's need you to sign paperwork

I have access to an admin@ account on one of the domain names I have for the mail server. Unfortunately I'm at 10/10 licenses and can't create an admin<_at_> for the second domain. Will this matter?

Really the only thing I'm looking for is to use SSL with the email server for encryption. Can they also be used to secure our websites? We use HostGator for that.

Thanks for your input.
  •  
Lyle M

TC10284 wrote on Sun, 06 June 2010 11:02

I have access to an admin<_at_> account on one of the domain names I have for the mail server. Unfortunately I'm at 10/10 licenses and can't create an admin<_at_> for the second domain. Will this matter?

Just create an admin alias. That won't use a license.
  •  
east38

I know xxxxxxxxx service quite well and I can see they're quite good dealing with customer requests.

Prices are usually lowest ones on the market but they also guarantee price match on request and expect special offers.

I'd suggest to try a SSL certificate for 30 days with them and then, eventually, buy the full version.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 August 2013 15:47] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Corresponding not receive mail when the sender sent from gmail pro
Next Topic: Connecting to LDAP with Alpine mail client
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 21:59:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00405 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.