Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Why is Search so bad (punctuation makes it fail)?
  •  
dsegel

Send a private message to this user
Running Kerio Connect 7.0.1 build 1249 on Windows Server 2008 R2. This problem relates to the web client.

I have a mailbox with thousands of messages with subjects like:

Alert: 10.2.1.91 - Jun 7 16:57:48 cluster1 dfsr[warning]

The "10.2.1.91" part is an IP address. I'd like to search for a specific IP, but if I put '10.2.1.91' in the search box it finds nothing. I need to enter it like '10 2 1 91' for it to work.

Similarly, a search for 'dfsr[warning]' fails, but 'dfsr warning' works.

The search function seems to treat all non-alphanumeric characters as spaces. Is this a known issue? Is there something wrong with our configuration?
  •  
dsegel

Still wondering what's up with the search function. I have a folder that receives event log data from PCs. The subjects are in the form:

Error: 10.2.2.102 - Feb 7 05:06:17 PC-7700-14 8005 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM DNS lookup failure

If I try to search by machine name ('PC-7700-14' in this case), the search fails with nothing returned. If I remove the - characters and search for 'PC 7700 14' I get everything with PC and 7700 and 14 in the subject, even if they're not near each other. This makes the search function in the web client worthless.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2011 15:55]

•  
fearozz

DFSR is related to a Windows Server 2003 or more.
  •  
TorW

Dot and angled brackets (. and []) are regex metacharacters. I can't know this of course, but it looks like Webmail is taking the entered search string verbatim and goes looking for it with a regex search. On one hand it's extremely powerful, on the other hand it's not particularly end-user friendly.

I bet searching for "10\.2\.1\.91" (i.e. escaping the dots with backslashes) will return what you want. Same goes for angled brackets.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2011 09:38]

•  
dsegel

No such luck, and it wouldn't explain why dashes (-) aren't accepted in a search string either. Searching for an email with "TIF-CSI" in the subject returns 0 results if I enter it with the dash, and several dozen if I enter it like "TIF CSI".

I'd love to be told that there's something wrong with our installation, but so far I haven't heard anything.

We've begun looking at Zimbra as a Kerio replacement for this and several other shortcomings (like not being able to edit a single occurrence of a repeating event in the calender, no body search, etc.).
  •  
TorW

Dashes are also regex metacharacters. Since it didn't help escaping them, Webmail search appears to simply be broken.
  •  
winkelman

It seems to me Kerio is indexing the search terms (so indexing the subject line, date, etc.) and is therefore missing some stuff. Webmail doesn't go through the actual emails when trying to resolve a search, it matches the query with its index. And I'm guessing the index is limited it what it stores/can handle. Basically strings without punctuation.

The search, while fast, is certainly very limited it what it can do. (Perhaps that is why it's fast?) You probably already know it doesn't even search/index the body of the messages. Since searching is very important in Webmail, because of other understandable UI limitations (you only see so much messages at a time 'per screen'), this is one of the biggest downsides of Kerio Webmail. (We are on 'Webmail only', so we'd welcome a more complete Webmail search solution!)

For now years already users are asking for it, but Kerio is not delivering. Reason being their implementation of the server makes searches very very resource intensive. Or so they have said on some occasions. So they won't implement it, because every client search would bring down the server. Well, if that's the case, I'm behind Kerio's choice. Still, it would be better if a full search would be possible without affecting server performance! Wink
  •  
dsegel

winkelman wrote on Mon, 14 February 2011 07:11

For now years already users are asking for it, but Kerio is not delivering. Reason being their implementation of the server makes searches very very resource intensive. Or so they have said on some occasions. So they won't implement it, because every client search would bring down the server. Well, if that's the case, I'm behind Kerio's choice. Still, it would be better if a full search would be possible without affecting server performance! Wink

This is a ridiculous presumption on Kerio's part. Sure, some people are running their mail server on an old Pentium 60, but I'm not one of them. My mail server has huge amounts of fast RAID 50 disk space, 12GB of RAM, and dual X5560 Xeon processors (more cores than you can count), and I only have 160 users. They should at least give me the *option* of turning on body search capability. Ship it off by default if they're really concerned, but let those who can use it do so. As is my mail server spends 99+% of its time doing nothing.

I've been testing Zimbra on a virtual machine and it can do body searches without impacting CPU or disk all that much. Good indexing I suppose. I'd switch now if I didn't have to retrain my user base. We'll almost certainly get it pushed out within a year unless Kerio steps up and starts being competitive again.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Email body search is something we're definitely working on. Stay tuned.
  •  
traxon12

I have the feeling that the other user will be able to view the sent messages because you have given him the right to view them by allocating access rights to him. Today I got this information when I made an extensive search on the internet. But I am not 100% sure about it.

"ALL IS WELL"
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

traxon12 wrote on Tue, 15 February 2011 08:15
I have the feeling that the other user will be able to view the sent messages because you have given him the right to view them by allocating access rights to him. Today I got this information when I made an extensive search on the internet. But I am not 100% sure about it.

??
Sorry, I don't understand it. If you add access rights to other users to see your sent emails then of course they will be able to see your emails. That's what access rights are supposed to do.
  •  
mactech

FWIW: Searches are still broken in 7.3 final. That includes search strings with properly escaped regex meta characters.

E.g.: 7.4 beta and 7\.4 beta yield nothing - 7 4 beta does, but so does 4 7 beta (The search assumes a boolean AND operator). Defining complete strings with quotes does not seem to work at all: "7 4 beta" or "7\.4 beta" yield nothing.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2011 18:23]

•  
trifecta

mactech wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 18:22
FWIW: Searches are still broken in 7.3 final. That includes search strings with properly escaped regex meta characters.

E.g.: 7.4 beta and 7\.4 beta yield nothing - 7 4 beta does, but so does 4 7 beta (The search assumes a boolean AND operator). Defining complete strings with quotes does not seem to work at all: "7 4 beta" or "7\.4 beta" yield nothing.

It seems to work just fine for me in 7.3.0 Final.

• Attachment: Snap35.jpg
    (Size: 52.51KB, Downloaded 268 times)
  •  
trifecta

It also works when search string is given an IP Address (including periods).

• Attachment: Snap36.jpg
    (Size: 63.93KB, Downloaded 266 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2011 09:48]

•  
trifecta

... and so is the text inside the square brackets.

• Attachment: Snap37.jpg
    (Size: 55.85KB, Downloaded 260 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2011 09:50]

Previous Topic: Test utility or service
Next Topic: External web page in Kerio Connect web interface?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:47:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00561 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.