Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Moving Individual Mailboxes to new server
  •  
pjulian

Send a private message to this user
We are currently planning a migration from 6.7 to 7 and at the same time will be changing platforms from Windows to Linux.
I have read the migration doco and that's all good, but whilst doing this change we are also moving data centres which complicates things as we can't move huge amounts of data in short times.
What I need to achieve is to be able to migrate a domain or group of mailboxes at a time as we currently have around 30GB of mail which is too much to backup, transport or copy, and restore in one outage window.

I know we can just copy the whole store structure over etc, but we need to do this move in sections or groups of users so that we can migrate a department at a time as it were within a tight timeframe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
  •  
SteveU

The technical side of this isn't as complicated as the end-user logistics you'll have to facilitate. I recommend running concurrent servers until your migration is done and using imapsync to migrate the accounts one-by-one - during off hours of course. Granted, you'll have to add a second MX record and configure mail forwarding as needed but it should make this process a bit more manageable.

Hope it helps.
  •  
pjulian

Thanks Steve, so that tool will do mailbox, contacts, calendar, etc yeh ?
I think you might be right though, end-user logistics would be a nightmare
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
Paul
  •  
SteveU

Imapsync won't migrate the contacts, calendar and contacts. You could use rsync as an alternative tool for this whole process. It's not limited to IMAP synchronicity functions like imapsync is.
  •  
Yohann94

Here is a script that could help.
In my case, the purpose was to migrate a user from a server to another where the users exists on both. I think by the way that you'll have to create the user on the new server before transferring the account.

You can also update to 7 on your old server and use its user migration feature on distributed domains.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2010 06:48]

•  
matti763

Hi

If you change the platform, you cannot just copy messages (files) from Windows server to Linux server. Files are not compatible between these os. When we did the same thing, we first create and split (2Gb) one big archive with Winrar. Then we move these archive files to Linux and decompress whole message store. This works fine for us.

•  
pjulian

Thanks for the replies guys, according to the Kerio doco you are supposed to be able to copy the store folder and all is good ??

So if I upgrade the current server to Connect 7 and then build the new server as Connect 7 as well, is there a migration tool which will make it easier ?

We upgraded a server last week from 6.7.2 to 7.0 and there were major issues with the kerio offline connector, it lost the SSL settings and we had to re-enter usernames and passwords which was a major hassle, we have 60 users on this server we need to move and can't afford for those sorts of problems to happen, I really wish there was a proper kerio tool to move mailboxes between servers, it would make life a whole lot easier Smile

Regards
Paul
  •  
stewie

If you don't have a need--no, an absolute demand--to upgrade to v7 then wait. We upgraded & it's been absolutely killing us ever since & Kerio has been completely worthless in their help. Mad (So much so it appears we're changing mail servers.) You may want to read this thread before you upgrade. Not everyone is effected by this, but just be forewarned!
Previous Topic: custom webmail login with multiple domain
Next Topic: Outlook 2003 Tasks - custom views
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 12:45:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00495 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.