Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New site Kerio 7 or 6.x (performance issues)
  •  
rex.withers

Send a private message to this user
I'm looking at setting up a new site with Kerio. I have seen the posts re performance issues. Is anyone having good(expected) performance with 7?

I assume I can purchase Kerio and install the earlier version if that's what is recommended?
  •  
stewie

There must be many installs that are working fine otherwise we'd be hearing more of an uproar. And I'm pretty sure you can downgrade. The installers for older versions are available online & I think the licenses are the same format--just make sure your serial number will work with v6 before you buy.

For us, v6.7 was excellent in most every way & we loved the product. Today with v7, I would not functionally recommend Kerio to any company with more than 5-10 employees. And given Kerio's inability to fix their software & their complete lack of concern for their customers, I would not recommend a Kerio product to anyone. We have lost all faith in this company & are in the process of replacing Kerio.

Good luck.
  •  
vomsupport

I would not run 7.X but 6.7.X would be fine..

We have 85 users on 7.02 and get about 10 complaints a day...

I would go back except that we have users with droids

•  
GlennK

Running 7.02 here with 150 users, no problem. From the posts, it seems the complaints are limited to linux severs although I could be wrong.
  •  
mpermann

I thought the same thing as GlennK then I someone posted that they were having performance issues with Kerio Connect 7 under Windows in another thread. Sadly, Kerio has said very little in response to the posts in that thread. They say they are looking into the issue but apparently none of their test boxes are experiencing issues. It would should be nice if they would share what their test box configurations are so we would know what they claim works fine. As it is, we were forced to roll back to Kerio 6.7.3. And now there is talk of our organization dumping Kerio all together and going with a Google hosted solution. The performance issues we've had recently will make it tougher for us to make a case of sticking with Kerio. It's too bad too because I have been pretty happy with the solution over all.
  •  
GlennK

Performance appeared to be unchanged here on an Xserve after going from 6 to 7. We seem to have massive CPU power left. I don't have a way to measure reserve disk resources but we haven't received any complaints and I use accounts on the server myself.
  •  
marook

Running on OS X Server 10.6.4, 350 users (Apple Mail on IMAP, many with iPhones on ActiveSync as well!)
3 500G internal disk in RAID5.

Server also runs WebHelpDesk + InterMapper for monitoring our entire network in 3 countries... CPU usage is ~10% and no complains on speed.
Ohh, and we even have Communigate Pro running as well, though that mail server does only have about 100 accounts active (so that's 450 mail accounts..)

We do have the internal hardware RAID card installed though...

Edit: Almost all 350 users have iCal running as well.. but only about 20-30 use CardDAV (Address Book Server) for now...

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2010 01:19]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
rex.withers

OK thanks everyone so it appears that the issues that are being experienced are not universal, how common? it's hard to tell, people that aren't having issues are less likely to be on the forum and posting.

I don't want to be in the % that are having serious difficulties with the new version so assuming I'm allowed to Ill be installing the old version (already done as a 30 day trial).

Thanks for your advice everyone.
  •  
marook

Note that KMS 6.7.x has some limitations with iCal in 10.6..

If your users are on 10.6, move up to KC 7.0.1 (or 7.0.2) and be happy.. Smile

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
rex.withers

I should have specified in the initial post, for me its windows only platforms. Thanks again
  •  
hbianchi

We run a 650 users Kerio connect 7.02, over Red HAt linux and we do not have such problems that are mentioned in the post on "Kerio connect Performance". At least, problems we have, are for to make us to think in changing to another product.

Post on "Kerio connect Performance" has lost their primary subject and many of the problems are related to peripheral things as problems with last outlook version, with some new mobile devices or with caldav. As per the number of posts, it seems that some of the people that participated there has his own agenda trying to unqualify Kerio.

It is real that Kerio connect has a bit less performance than Kerio 6.7, and indeed the dependence of Hard disk performance seems to be higher (this is a matter that should be reviewed by kerio in near future), buy we didn't notice more problems than before. We mainly use webmail, but we have a 100 users of MAC, and also a number of Outlook, Iphone and blackBerry users.
  •  
mpermann

To hbianchi, would you mind sharing what your specific hardware configuration and Red Hat linux version are? We have a slightly larger installation than what you have that is 99% web based access. Our organization doesn't officially support using Apple Mail or iCal with Kerio. That's not to say people aren't using them as I know some are. We do have a fairly large number of users with mobile devices syncing via ActiveSync as well. I've been quite happy for the most part with Kerio. When we switched to Kerio Connect 7 we began experiencing performance issues. I would have preferred trying to resolve the performance issues by changing to a Windows OS on our existing hardware or putting it on our VMWare ESX system using Kerio's VM appliance. But since I'm not the server admin and only end user support, my opinion didn't count for much. It certainly would be nice to figure out a hardware/software configuration that allows us to use the new Kerio Connect and have the same performance as what we have in 6.7.3.
  •  
stupot1397

We have used Kerio for the last couple of years without any major issues. I find the performance fine, but we are only coping with about 100 users.

For me, there did not seem to be any performance penalty going from 6.7.3 to 7.0.1

Our server is running on a Windows Server 2008 VM (we use NTLM authentication) along with 8 others on the same physical machine.

Hardware is a Dell 2950 with 16GB of Ram, Raid 1 15K drives and a perc 6i

All of our clients are either webmail or KOFF, and Outlook 2007

•  
obenshad

Dear Readers/Posters of this thread:

We made the upgrade to 7.0 from 6.7 almost as soon as the initial release came out, and with much excitement. I was looking forward to what I hoped would be improved performance in caching/indexing of messages in the "Inbox", and at the time the release notes alluded to Kerio having made some adjustments to this.

Since then I have had many complaints from our users, and I myself have experienced issues with delay in switching between mail folders. Based on performance logs from our email server, it appears to me that the hard disk is the bottleneck. I can watch the average disk queue length, average disk read queue length, and average disk write queue length in real-time as I switch between mail folders (Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 / w Kerio Online Connector as a client). What is apparent, is that when I do switch between folders, all of the disk queues spike and remain extremely high during the period of time that Outlook freezes in between switching folders. Also I have observed that latency is tied very much to the number of email messages in the folder that you are switching to. If you only have one email message, it is almost instantaneous, but if you have 2600 (like me), then it quite a few seconds to load. Performance is also much better with Webmail than with Outlook, which all points to how the Kerio is handling requests for the mail store on a user's mail folder when they are connecting with the Kerio Online Connector.

Kerio support recommended that we move all users to Kerio Offline Connector, which would make sense given the above observations. With the Offline Connector, email messages would be stored locally in a PST file, which Outlook does a very good job of reading from. This is not a solution, but a work-around (which I have not tried).

I am considering upgrading the disk hardware on the mail server from a SATA 320 GB 7200 RPM generic disk to something like a Seagate SAS 15K RPM 300 GB disk to see if a higher performance disk will have an impact, but really I wish Kerio would look into how the server is handling the mail store requests from Kerio Online Connector clients. I believe this is where the bottleneck is and if they could solve this one, Kerio would be an easy sell to many organizations.

Processor: Athlon Dual-Core 2.6 Mhz
Ram: 2 GB
Hard Disk: 320 GB Hitachi SATA (7200 RPM)
Users: 25

Just my two 1/2 cents.
elias

obenshad wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 09:41
I am considering upgrading the disk hardware on the mail server from a SATA 320 GB 7200 RPM generic disk to something like a Seagate SAS 15K RPM 300 GB disk to see if a higher performance disk will have an impact...

Unfortunately, you'll need to go a lot further than that. Fault-tolerant issues aside, you really need to move to hardware RAID 10 with several disks to get the performance you're looking for. Migrating to a 15K RPM disk will certainly help, but you'll want more performance than a single drive will get you.

In my case and for my 50 very heavy email users/volume, it takes 8 dedicated 15K RPM drives in RAID 10 to get the performance I need. I had to go through several iterations to get here; I started with 2 7200 RPM drives in RAID 1, then moved to 4 15K RPM drives in RAID 10, and finally now 8 15K RPM drives.

Moving to the Offline Connector (KOFF) will certainly help mask some of the server issues you're having, but you still won't get PST-like performance. By default, only the Inbox is fully cached locally, so other folders will still require interaction with the server. KOFF's performance isn't stellar, but it does a reasonable job on standard desktop hardware.

The sad part here is that lots of Kerio customers run into this issue as the hardware requirements they list for the product are woefully inadequate in terms of sizing a server for real-world use. You'd think after years of this happening to customers that they would get tired of hearing about performance complaints and update their system requirements to something more reasonable to both set customer expectations and help customers understand how to build a proper server for their product.

Here's my personal recommendation on what you'll need to achieve reasonable performance:

1. A server-class RAID controller capable of RAID 10 with at least 128 MB of read/write cache.
2. 4 15K RPM SAS hard drives in a RAID 10 configuration.
3. If at all possible, dedicate the above array to just the Kerio store; i.e. put the OS on a separate drive or array.

The bottom line is that Kerio's performance is entirely dependent on how fast your disk subsystem is. Again, fault tolerant issues aside, I just don't think there's any chance that a single drive can handle 25-users.

-Elias
Previous Topic: Sync Connector Authentication Issue
Next Topic: 10.6.4 client update & iCal Invitees
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:15:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00580 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.