Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Snort is a RAM monster ? (Kerio Control 7.0 with (IDS/IPS))
  •  
moro666

Send a private message to this user
Hi All..

Kerio Control v7.0 is a real perfect step toward Security

integrating Snort was really good, after testing Kerio Control in your network,, you 'll never believe that all these bad traffic were passing through all those past years tell Kerio Control is come to live.

But i noticed that SNORT is very hungry for memory !!
I run it ( kerio Control with Snort (IPS) enabled ) on windows XP SP3 as a gateway for 45 online clients and left the system running for 24 hours

Snort continue eating RAM to reach 285 MB of ram through 24 hours and still grow ( slowly )

This is an expected behavior ( as i think ) isn't it ?????

BUT.. when Snort 'll calm down and get satisfied ?
How many RAM does SNORT need ?
What the equation that judge Snort requirements ?

sure it depends on some variables , what are these ?

But whatever Snort needs.. don't miss it just because you don't have more ram. Don't make this an option.

Snort 'll cover a wide range of holes in your network environment.

Mohammad Habeeb
  •  
subnet

Yep same here. We have a 2003 server Dual Core with 1 GB memory. SNort is eating approximately 240 mb and growing
  •  
Goran

For me is 100 mb but yes going up

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
  •  
ASTERISKESE

My network with 200 PCs;
Running Kerio Control Appliances 7.0.0 896 on PC (Core 2Duo E4500 2.2GHZ, 2.5GB RAM DD2);

The results:
CPU using: ~20%
Snort is monster;
Embarassed

I wonder that why Kerio Control do not allowed config SWAP area ?

YM: asteriskese

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2010 12:34]

Previous Topic: VPN / Load Balancing / Routing Problem
Next Topic: problem with configuring control :(
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:12:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00495 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.