Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2007 issues
  •  
DraganB

Send a private message to this user
Hi everybody,

I am working in small web content production company. We switched our hosting provider to a new one and the new company is hosting our emails. They use Kerio mail server.

So now I went to the admin web interface, created all user accounts again and reconfigured clients to start using new mail server. Non-Outlook clients (like Thunderbird) are not experiencing any issues and everything is peachy.

Outlook 2007 clients are messed up in the sense that when I hit 'Send & receive' it does the Send part without any obvious problems but it takes forever to process receiving part. On some clients it receives all messages but it does it painfully slow, while in others it doesn't receive any messages or does receive some but not all, it just hangs out there for 5 minutes and then throws out a message about error number 0x800ccc0f which I understand is some kind of generic message and nice rip-off people in Microsoft are not willing to tell us what this error message is all about. Among possible reasons for this message is a timeout, so I tried to fix that, put it to 3 minutes in the options and still nothing. Clients are configured not to leave messages on the server but it leaves them there anyway (maybe because of the error message).

I downloaded Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) and it does not do any better, it only messed Outlook up when I uninstalled it. Fortunately somebody posted instruction on Kerio forum on how to fix that.

I did talk with our hosting people for a couple of times and they give me the usual crap about issues with junk mail or the antivirus clients or firewall configuration (the usual 'not-our-fault', 'get-off-me' stuff). I think this is up to them but it IS TRUE that it works with some clients, so I have like 5% doubt that it's not up to them. On the other hand, our users are the ones that are affected with it in the end, and I cant tell them to stop using Outlook because it's the worst mail client in the world in my opinion (I don't use it for last 7-8 years in favor of The Bat and Thunderbird), some of them want to use it. So I wanted to ask people here about help or any guidelines as to what to do.

My questions are:
1. anybody had issues with mentioned Outlook 2007 clients error, and what would be a way to fix this?
2. Is Kerio Outlook Connector mandatory for Outlook clients to properly receive mail from Kerio mail servers? If it is, what do I need to do to make sure it works on Outlook 2007 and Vista/Win 7 OS? Forgot to mention that some of our users have 64bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems, don't know if it makes any difference.

Thank you for any help.
  •  
TorW

The meaning behind the error "0x800ccc0f" isn't exactly secret. It means Outlook can't connect to whatever mailserver you told it to connect to. There just no way MS could predict and list the reasons for such a problem. Your rant failed to mention if you're using POP3, but I guess you do since you mention "leave messages on the server". Is it an SSL problem? I.e. have you told Outlook to not use SSL while the server can't do anything but (or vice versa)?

If you did, you would experience a timeout (0x800ccc0f) when Outlook gives up connecting to a server port which weren't listening in the first place.

Outlook 2007 can receive from KMS with IMAP or POP3, plus the various Outlook Connectors. The hosting provider will of course have to offer these services in the first place, and you will also need to know if they're doing secure IMAP/POP3 or the regular unencrypted ones.

Go back and check your Outlook settings (unless you refuse to on principal).
  •  
DraganB

Hi TorW,

Quote:
The meaning behind the error "0x800ccc0f" isn't exactly secret. It means Outlook can't connect to whatever mailserver you told it to connect to. There just no way MS could predict and list the reasons for such a problem.

What I meant is that the error message could have more information i.e. '0x800ccc0f: [specific step problem description]' and not be so general. This way it would be useful for somebody trying to troubleshoot the issue. They do not have to treat users like morons. If you go to the knowledge base article about the error KB813514, it gives you 10 assumptions as what could be the reason. When you do all 10 steps you still end up with no results.

Quote:
Your rant failed to mention if you're using POP3, but I guess you do since you mention "leave messages on the server". Is it an SSL problem? I.e. have you told Outlook to not use SSL while the server can't do anything but (or vice versa)?

If you did, you would experience a timeout (0x800ccc0f) when Outlook gives up connecting to a server port which weren't listening in the first place.

Our Outlook clients are set up not to use SSL. Plain POP3, port 110. No encryption. Not sure I understand the "have you told Outlook to not use SSL while the server can't do anything".

Quote:
Outlook 2007 can receive from KMS with IMAP or POP3, plus the various Outlook Connectors. The hosting provider will of course have to offer these services in the first place, and you will also need to know if they're doing secure IMAP/POP3 or the regular unencrypted ones.

Go back and check your Outlook settings (unless you refuse to on principal).

I did check them dozen of times and will do that one more time. Thanks for a quick answer.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2010 12:44]

•  
TorW

DraganB wrote on Mon, 28 June 2010 12:43
Our Outlook clients are set up not to use SSL. Plain POP3, port 110. No encryption. Not sure I understand the "have you told Outlook to not use SSL while the server can't do anything".

Are your Thunderbird clients set up to use POP3S? I.e. is the hosting company perhaps only offering POP3 over SSL (port 995)?

Outlooks POP3 implementation is usually trouble free, although the multitude of ways to get mail into Outlook makes it somewhat complicated.

Can you give us the hostname of the mail server?
  •  
DraganB

Quote:
Are your Thunderbird clients set up to use POP3S? I.e. is the hosting company perhaps only offering POP3 over SSL (port 995)?

Thunderbird clients use only port 110. Asked the hosting company guy and he told that we don't have POP3 over SSL. Only standard POP3. I thought that the Outlook was messed up somehow, so I asked him to check it out and it won't work from his laptop with new user account in Outlook. And he uses another version of Outlook, still gets the same problem. I'm having him run some error logs on the server to see what is happening there. Now I am more convinced that this is some freaky Outlook issue.

Quote:
Outlooks POP3 implementation is usually trouble free, although the multitude of ways to get mail into Outlook makes it somewhat complicated.

Can you give us the hostname of the mail server?

Sure, mail.thenewmedia.ba

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2010 14:39]

•  
DraganB

Short update: hosting company guy showed up in my office and recreated the issue on his laptop. Then he showed me the error and debug logs at their server and no entries there, so everything is OK as far as the Kerio mail server is concerned. So now I know for sure that that this is some freaky Outlook issue, not the hosting company issue, just need to figure out what and how. They host emails for more than 500 domains, so he is interested himself to chase this thing.
Previous Topic: Run rules manually on existing messages?
Next Topic: Move mailing list between domains?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 06:44:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00467 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.