Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Terminal Server (Citrix) KOC (Kerio Connect working in a TS enviroment?)
  •  
Christoph

Send a private message to this user
Hello,
i'm quite new to Kerio Connect, so please correct me if i'm wrong.

Given there is a quite standard TS Enviroment.
One Central office location with a 100Mbit/s connection to a hosted Kerio Connect. A few branch offices with 2-35Mbit/s to the central office + loads of roadwarriors.

All these people use Kerio online connector on the terminal server to connect to their mail/calendar.
As technical problems began to show, support calls to Kerio where answered with to use the Kerio Offline connector (KOFFC), as the online connector is not supported in a terminal server enviroment and beeing phased out (When will this be?)

Reading the manual it looks like the Offline Connector is actually supported in a TS enviroment without roaming profiles.
Can anyone explain to me what this exactly means, as people of cause roam Terminal Servers and/or workstation.
Can't i just use a folder redirect to a fileserver to solve this problem?

Is it possible with the KOFFC for the user to only retrive the headers of an email and never store email locally?

What are the performance implication of using the offline connector instead of the online connector?

Am I right in guessing, that the online connector is doing a translation like:
Outlook (Mapi) -> (Mapi) Connector (IMAP) -> (IMAP) Server

And the offline connector something like:

Outlook (Mapi) -> (Mapi) Connector (Mapi) -> (Mapi)Server?

Overall this all ends in the question, what is best practice when running Kerio Connect in Terminal Server enviroment.

Cheers
Chris
  •  
TorW

KOFF technically works on a terminal server, although you cannot use any sort of roaming or TS profiles with it. All profiles must be local or the users will resync the entire message store every time they log on. The reason is that the user's message store is in Local Settings and will not roam with the rest of the profile.

Group Policies folder redirection will disregard Local Settings (after all, it's local), so you're basically out of luck if you want real roaming profiles and KOFF. Using junction points to put the message store on a file server won't work either since the source in the junction disappears at logoff when you use roaming and/or TS profiles. Redirecting Application Data (the non-local one) and My Documents works nevertheless, so you can at least limit the profile size a bit.

KOFF is basically useless in a terminal server environment unless you go for local profiles - which in turn goes somewhat against the whole idea of terminal services. You can forget about load balancing, application silos and TS proxies either way.

KOC is dying a slow death and haven't really been updated for a long time from what I can see. A KOFF which does not cache the message store would have been great in a TS environment, but so far it's only rumours. Lastly: KOFF will by default only sync the message headers, but once you open a mail it caches the whole thing. The cache does not seem to shrink either.

I've said it before and I'm more than willing to repeat it: KOFF (and KOC) is nowhere near being fit for enterprise use. There's just too many limitations and most serious of all: it's impossible to roll out in any sort of automated way. Manual configuration for every user is your only choice (although extremely convoluted automated setups is theoretically possible. Don't even ask.).
  •  
marook

Well, the trend gurus say the future is the the employee bring their own PC/laptop, so maybe the time to move to webmail is a good one.. Wink

"You want IMAP? Bring your own laptop.. " Smile

I don't know your reason, but some of my customers also use Outlook (and Office) via a hosted Citrix/TS setup.. and they are about to commit harakiri... all of them!

YMMV... Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
TorW

Whatever the trend gurus say, the reasoning behind webmail and terminal services is pretty much the same; go wherever you want. As long as you have internet access you're all set.

I think the main problem with KMS/KC is the staggering amount of half-assed administrators and on-the-cheap infrastructure setups serving the seemingly most important thing in the world: email. There's no such thing as "just works" in collaborative communication. People are involved, and that tends to complicate everything Wink
Previous Topic: Kerio Mail in ADSL
Next Topic: ? my wishes ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 02:34:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.