Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Mail in ADSL (Mail Server in ADSL)
  •  
nani

Send a private message to this user
i am planning to go for kerio mail server in my adsl line, how good it works. heard about mail hop from dyndns will it full fill the operation of MX records?

please share your information.
  •  
germanr

You can use it, but you will need to relay your ougoing mails through another mail server on a static ip because most probably a Dynamic ip will be blacklisted and your mails will not reach the recipients.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
nani

Thanks for the reply
yes , am planning to relay it through Mail Hop Services from Dyndns providers. how will it work if i use mail relay services from other providers all my mails will go through that provider and what about incoming mails? how incoming mails will identify the domain?

•  
germanr

You will have to set up a mx record in your DNS server that yourcompany.dyndns.org (or whatever the name you choose) is your mail server , so that the emails go directly to your server.

The ip address will change probably every 12 hours or so, so you will have a minute or two per day that maybe your incoming mails cannot get though while the new ip propagates though the dns servers. That is why we also set up a backup mail server (such as www.dnsmadeeasy.com that costs about USD 12 per year). If your server goes offline or does not resolve , mails will be held in the backup mail server until it goes online again.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
nani

my domain is allready registered in different hosting provider, so how can i register my mail domain with this. its totally confusing for me Smile, if you dont mind please explain me.

that solution DNSMADEEASY i know, am allready availing that service for my existing mail server which is having Static IP and proper MX records, but it is differant company i dont want to touch it.
  •  
germanr

It depends on your hosting provider . Don't you have a control panel such as Plesk or Cpanel to manage your website and dns records?

Here is an example of Cpanel's Dns management.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
nani

yes , i have plesk CPanel, so you mean to say that there i need to mention my xxxx.dydns.org right?
  •  
germanr

that's right . the mx records are the mail servers. you have to set it up there.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
marook

Ok, let's clear this out:

1: Depending on where you live, your xDSL IP _might_ change!
My private DSL line haven't changed in the last 5 years! But a DynDNS NAME for it is always a great thing.

2: If you plan to send mail directly on this connection, you NEED a static IP, because A) you need a PTR record in DNS pointing back to your hostname and B) the IP of your mailserver needs to be whitelisted, ie. not listed in the 'dialup lines' Blacklist servers. If you get a static IP (even though it's provided via DHCP!) your ISP needs to remove it from the 'dialup lines' Blacklist servers - almost all ISP's list their 'dialup/subscriber IPs' in this list, so spammers can't send mails from them!

Else, relay via your provider, and make sure CallerID & SPF records in DNS list what servers are allowed to send for your domains. (No CallerID = No delivery to Hotmail)

3: If you can't get a static IP, use a provider to accept and send your 'public' mail.
Kerio can fetch all mails to a domain via both ETRN and POP3 downloads. (Admin: Delivery...)
So depending on your provider, they can store your email, and you can 'grab it' by those two methods, or they can simply set up an empty domain and forward all unknown accounts to your IP/hostname.

4: DNS
For your domain(s) you need to specify MX records:

domainname.com MX n name.of.mailserver.
(domainname.com MX n name.of.mailserver.)

n = a number, smallest equal most important server TO THE PUBLIC
Higher number = If you can't deliver to lower number, deliver here...

Note: 'name.of.mailserver.' needs to be a valid A record, you can't point to a CNAME (alias) record that points to another name.. (and you might get rejected mails if you do...)

Hope it helps a bit.. Smile

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
nani

thanks for the reply germanar.

hi farook, thanks for your full dettailed description, its little bit tricky to understand Smile,here am with few questions..

things you mentioned in 3rd point is little bit crazy, we need to create a domain name in provider and we need to create mail accounts for all of our users, you mean to say we need to create mail accounts 2 places internal and external provider? then we can fetch mails?

what about mail hop service from dyndns.org, what do you think about it , they will send mails via their domain and RDNS and everything will be taken care by them

Previous Topic: Leave a Copy on External Pop3 Server
Next Topic: Terminal Server (Citrix) KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 06:33:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00528 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.