Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Control with 100+ computers LAN and NAT
  •  
TNA

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

English is not my primary language but I'll try to do my best, sorry.

We are looking for a solution to manage and secure Internet access for 100 to 200 computers at events we organize every 2 months, each event last 3 to 5 days. We are looking at paid solutions because we need professionnal support as we don't have any IT personnal at our organisation.

We downloaded the trial version of Kerio Control and really like it because it gives us great control over what's happening and very good monitoring for none IT guys like us. Unfortunately we had problems when adding more computers to our LAN, Kerio Control was working fine with 10 computers, then 20, then 30. Problem appeared when we reached 50 computers, it was really slow on some services but not every services (http was always fine).

So my first question is, does this have to do with us evaluating the trial version of Kerio Control? I think it has nothing to do with it but I'm asking anyway, just in case this is the problem.

Another question, services affected were mainly multiplayer games wich need basic TCP/UDP Internet connections for authentification only (we do video game competition/tournament), will Kerio technical support be able to help us with setting up firewall/routing rules for our specific needs or do we have to hire an IT guy for this matter?

And my last question to all you Kerio users and/or staff member, is Kerio Control really what we need? We really like it, it is really easy for us to use Kerio Control even with little to no knowledge at all about TCP/IP but maybe it is not adequate for our use. What we need is sharing Internet access for 100 to 200 computers, control what application/computer is allowed Internet access, bandwidth limiting capabilities (this also a problem with trial, we had to disable it sometime to get Internet working) and good monitoring so we know who is doing something they shoudn't

Sorry if my post is inapropriate, I wanted to mail Kerio but we are used to working with forums =)

Any input will be appreciated thank you all for reading.
  •  
styson

TNA,

• What kind of hardware are you running Kerio Control on? Processor, RAM, NICS?
  • Have you tried the appliance version? It will run faster on less hardware.
  • Have you removed or increased the max connections for each client? I found the default of 600 way to small for gaming. On my home office Kerio Control appliance my own gaming machine will exceed the 600 connections just refreshing Team Fortress 2 servers on Steam. Once you hit the maximum connections that device cannot get access to the internet.

To answer your last question I believe Kerio is your best option for what your trying to do given it's ease of use and features.
  •  
TNA

Hello and thank you for the reply

- Kerio is running on a Q6600 with 2Gb DDR2 and 2 x 1000mbs NICs (intel), Cisco router on one NIC and the other NIC goes to our LAN (multiple Netgear switches), in case it matters Windows 2003 Server is running on the kerio server (no AD setup)

- No I haven't tried the appliance version, I'll give it a look

- I haven't removed nor increased the max connections for each client, I'll try this

Thank you very much =)

[Updated on: Fri, 16 July 2010 14:58]

•  
styson

You are welcome. That hardware should be plenty for what you want to do but I have not done testing to confirm that. Are the NICs PCIe? That would matter once they start to get loaded down. What OS? XP, Vista or Win7?

If you are having connection issues while gaming removing the connection limit will be key, especially if http is working but other connections are not. Have you observed the firewall while it's running to see if you are maxing out RAM, CPU or network bandwidth?
Previous Topic: how to bypass
Next Topic: BUGS KERIO
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 18:07:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.