Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Replication with Double Take
  •  
ruta

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone successfully replicating Kerio Mail Server using Double Take? We just implemented, and although the Double Take replication is working, it is creating all kinds of errors on the Kerio server, which is really surprising. So, for now, we had to stop the replication.

If anyone has this working, would appreciate some advice on how.

BTW, we are running Kerio 6.7.3 and the issue is that when replication is running, the status.fld files are being locked up by Double Take with Access Denied error messages in the Kerio error log. This means some mail cannot be delivered and gets kicked back.

Double Take told us that they were "application agnostic".

[Updated on: Sun, 11 July 2010 23:48]

•  
gbalbach

Yes we use Double Take in Full Server failover mode - server is Kerio 7.0.1 on Windows 2003 Enterprise editio n 32bit. We even used it to upgrade the server - setup replication from old to new server hardware then failed over to the new one (off hours of course). Worked as advertised. If there is anything specific you would like me to check in our configuration let me know. We started back with Kerio 6.7.x and they were fine as well.
  •  
ruta

Thanks for the response! Appreciate it.
We are set up differently however. We are replicating only files and folders. Currently we cannot do Full Server failover mode.

Oddly enough, it is the Kerio mail server, the source, that is having problems because Double-Take is somehow locking up various .fld files, wreaking havoc on mail delivery. Not sure if the different replication types behave differently. We tried using the checksum and also the "source as newer" options for the mirroring, but the outcome was the same. The Kerio logs are just full or errors if replication is on, and they immediately stop once we disable replication. This is very suprising to us. We were told by Double-Take that they were "application agnostic." Apparently not.

Did you have to tweak any replication settings?

So far, Double-Take support has been unresponsive.
  •  
elias

I've had similar problems using different software. My observation is that Kerio expects to be able to take an exclusive lock on any file at any time, and if it can't, even if it only had to wait for a few milliseconds, it throws an error.

While I haven't tried it myself, your best bet would be to use a product or mode that supports VSS. Based on gbalbach's experience, I'm guessing that "full server failover mode" does just that. Taking a snapshot of the volume and replicating that snapshot is probably the only safe way to access the mail store while Kerio is running.

-Elias
  •  
ruta

I'm continuing to work with Double Take support on this issue. I must say that they are trying really hard to resolve this.

We did discover one thing: the mirroring process works fine and does not generate any errors in Kerio. The replication process is the culprit. Double Take confirms that the drivers used for mirroring and replication are different.

We ran Process Monitor today and then initiated replication. The extensive log has been sent up to Double Take programmers. What the outcome will be is still unknown.

gbalbach, who has had success running Double Take is running on a 2003 32-bit Server. W are on 2008 64-bit. This makes a difference in terms of the driver being used.

Damn, I thought this would be easy.
  •  
My IT Indy

ruta wrote on Wed, 14 July 2010 18:12

Damn, I thought this would be easy.

When has this EVER happened in IT?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ruta

Double Take support asked if I can find out which version of Double Take you are running?
Previous Topic: Upgrade form kerio mailserver 6.3.1 to kerio connection 7.0.0
Next Topic: Syncing Calendar to Samsung Acclaim
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:31:19 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00458 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.