Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to reduce avserver RAM usage on OSX (Process 'avserver' using 200M+ of memory)
  •  
jimsky7

Send a private message to this user
We've run Kerio Connect for years on OSX 10.3 with no problem until we upgraded to Kerio version 7 and moved it to an OSX 10.4 server (yes I know that's old) and now the 'avserver' (Macafee) process balloons up to 200M+ of RAM and we have other processes that can't get a word in edgewise. It's a 1GB machine.

CPU and disk are all loafing along. We have 100+ active users and never had any problem before.

Anyone know if there's a way to get this avserver process to play nicer with the other kids and use less memory?
  •  
TorW

Getting McAffee to use 0 MB RAM is easy; just uninstall it and replace it with ClamAV. That, or make the playing field larger so the unruly McAffee kid can play in its own corner (read: install more RAM).

It's not always easy to change the landscape to match the map ...
  •  
marook

Dust off some old RAM and make the machine happy.

Running a 100+ user mailserver on 1Gb RAM is asking for a slowdown... :-/

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
j.a.duke

jimsky7 wrote on Thu, 15 July 2010 04:59
We've run Kerio Connect for years on OSX 10.3 with no problem until we upgraded to Kerio version 7 and moved it to an OSX 10.4 server (yes I know that's old) and now the 'avserver' (Macafee) process balloons up to 200M+ of RAM and we have other processes that can't get a word in edgewise. It's a 1GB machine.

CPU and disk are all loafing along. We have 100+ active users and never had any problem before.

Anyone know if there's a way to get this avserver process to play nicer with the other kids and use less memory?

I run with ClamXav version 2 on a 1.25 GB machine (G4 Dual 800 QuickSilver) and and have no trouble what-so-ever.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
TorW

Huh? Were we talking about 1 Ghz instead of 1 GB all along?
  •  
jimsky7

Sounds like Clam is a possible solution. We have run 120 users on a 1GB/1GHz G4 OSX 10.3 machine (Kerio 6), and now this 1GB/2GHz G5 OSX 10.4.11 machine (Kerio 7) for about 5 years now with no problems at all. CPU usage ran around 20% on the G4 and is around 5% on the G5. Lots of users with iPhones synced and small number of Exchange users. Usually a few webmail users online day and night. Rotating memory on both machines is Apple software RAID (two-disk mirrored) and we've had to replace a drive once, but disk performance is not an issue. With 3 drives, the OS and Kerio s/w are on a main drive and the data are on the RAID set. This was an upgrade to a different XServe with same memory, faster CPU, but Kerio7 rather than Kerio6. Just never ran into any problems before. I can speak highly (positively) about my experience with Kerio so far. (That seems to be an unpopular stance on the forums Wink but I never have to call for support, which might be lucky, and have yet to run into any bugs or anything for that matter that I've had to work around.)

We just bought 1 year with McAfee, so I'll look into ClamXav next year - thanks for the advice on that.

I have temporarily solved the problem by adjusting memory on another app and not launching a couple of others at startup. avserver still bumps along at about 80MB once in a while, and 221MB -most- of the time. I prefer headless servers to these servers that always have other junk running related to the GUI (which is hardly ever used) and this is the last OSX serve we have - we've gone Ubuntu in the cloud for everything else...
Previous Topic: Kerio port 80 and Apache port 8888?
Next Topic: Upgrade form kerio mailserver 6.3.1 to kerio connection 7.0.0
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 11:23:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00422 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.