Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » very slow email receiving from 1 special server
  •  
loopy37

Send a private message to this user
Using Kerio Connect 7 on Mac Os X,
latest patches installed...

I have one special customer, which sends us large emails on a regualr basis. Alle emails from this special customer (and emailserver therefore) are dropping in very slowly.

An email with about 10 MB takes over 3 hours to receive.
In the log files, everything ist fine, there are no delays, the handshake between the two servers works fine, und the connection is not dropping, so it only has a very low data rate.

Our server is attached via a 4Mbit Wan connection, and their server is even better.

With all other customers this problem is not visible, every email is received at full speed.

One special thing: sendig emails from us to them is working at normal speed, only receiving is extremely slow.

Has anyone an idee what steps to take to get rid of this problem.
I have contact to the administrator of the other server, so deeper testing would be possible.

Thanks for your help.
  •  
Pomodoro

Why did you want to send a 10MB attachment in email? Due to re-encoding, the 10MB will turn into a 20MB upon receiving. Setup and use a FTP Server instead.
  •  
loopy37

due to company restrictions, this special customer does not allow ftp access. So all employees use email as "data containers" and send for example 5 Emails in a row with 5 jpg 2 MB each. So this not not realy a solution.

(we have allready ftp-accounts for several customers...)
  •  
Pomodoro

Why can't you create a FTP guest account for this special customer and does your ftp server allows the use of virtual directory? At my company, each of the customers will have its own ftp directory containing their own files. Once logged in, they can only see their files, but not others.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 July 2010 10:50]

•  
p0ddie

guys, he asks for cherries, you offer him tomatoes (yes, I do happen to know pomodoro is Italian for tomato ^^).

the slow delivery of mails is really weird, sounds like some sort of tarpitting (which the receiving Kerio does not support).

I would try systematically: start sending a 500kb message from the customer to your account and increment those mails in 500kb steps until you find out if there is a size threshold of the mail.

@all I have a lot of customers using email as the intenal file distribution as they can't seem to handle a simple server share or instant messaging to exchange files. Some of them send 50MB mails back and forth internally and externally on a regular basis. Users are computer illiterates, mostly. You can't get away with a 5MB max attachment size rule on your mailserver unless you're the head admin of a very large company or university. all small offices' bosses will not understand why they can't send 40MB 12k pixel TIFF pictures of their new golf club to their buddies via mail.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2010 11:59]

•  
phil_w

Can I just ask what their upstream speed is? Is it definitely the same as their download?
Previous Topic: gro├če Probleme mit Apple iCal als Klient / is there anyone using iCal as Client?
Next Topic: Out of Office and a Full mailbox ...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 13:34:08 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00432 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.